What if I decide to contest the tentative nonconfirmation (TNC)?

If you contest the TNC, you must indicate your decision on the Further Action Notice and return it to your employer. The Further Action Notice includes instructions on how to contact either Social Security Administration (SSA) or the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to begin resolving your case. 

If you choose to contest the TNC, you must either visit SSA in person or contact DHS by phone (depending on the instructions contained in the Further Action Notice) within eight federal government workdays of the date of referral to begin resolving your case.

Last Reviewed/Updated: