Derivative Refugee/Asylee Status for Your Spouse

Man and woman looking at each other and smiling.

If you were admitted to the United States as a principal refugee, or if you were granted asylum in the United States in the last two years, you can petition for your spouse to receive derivative refugee or asylee status by filing Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, on their behalf. This is considered “derivative” refugee or asylee status, since they will be deriving this status from you after you were admitted to the U.S. as a refugee or received a grant of asylum. This petition has a two-year filing deadline, but we may still accept your petition after two years for humanitarian reasons.

Last Reviewed/Updated: