Derivative Refugee/Asylum Status for Your Children

Two children with their arms around each other's shoulders

If you were admitted to the United States as a principal refugee, or if you were granted asylum status in the United States in the last two years, you can petition for your children to receive refugee or asylee status by filing Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, on their behalf. This is known as “derivative” refugee or asylee status, since they will be deriving this status from you after you were admitted to the U.S. as a refugee or received a grant of asylum. This petition has a two-year filing deadline, but we may still accept your petition after two years for humanitarian reasons.

Last Reviewed/Updated: