Green Card for Battered Spouse, Child or Parent of U.S. Citizen

Son separated by a large space from his parents. The parents look angry.

As a battered spouse, child, or parent, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The VAWA provisions in the INA allow certain spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens and certain spouses and children of permanent residents (Green Card holders) to file a petition for themselves, without the abuser's knowledge. This allows victims to seek both safety and independence from their abuser, who is not notified about the filing.
The VAWA provisions, which apply equally to women and men, are permanent and do not require congressional reauthorization.

Help is also available from the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233 (TTY: 800-787-3224). For more information, visit the National Domestic Violence website.

Last Reviewed/Updated: