Obtain an Employment Authorization Document
We may issue an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to you as evidence that you can work legally in the United States for a specific time period.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may be in one of three categories of people who are eligible to work in the United States:
- Category 1: You may be authorized to work in the United States because of your immigration status;
- Category 2: You may be authorized to work for a specific employer as a result of your nonimmigrant status; or
- Category 3: You may be in an immigration category that requires you to request employment authorization.
To work legally in the United States, you must present documentation to an employer showing that you have permission to work in the United States. For more information about what documents you may show, see our Form I-9 Acceptable Documents page.
How to File
If you fall under category 1 or 3, you must:
- Read the instructions for Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization;
- Complete and sign your Form I-765;
- Pay the filing fee, if applicable; and
Provide all required evidence and supporting documentation.
After You File
Once we receive your Form I-765, you will receive a:
- Receipt notice confirming we received your application;
- Biometric services notice, if applicable;
- Notice to appear for an interview, if required; and
Notice of our decision.
Want status updates about your case? Learn how to create a USCIS online account to stay informed.