The P-1A classification allows you to come to the United States temporarily to perform as an athlete.
You may be eligible if you are coming temporarily to the United States solely for the purpose of performing at a specific athletic competition as:
- An individual athlete at an internationally recognized level of performance;
- Part of a group or team at an internationally recognized level of performance;
- A professional athlete; or
- An athlete or coach of a team or franchise that is located in the United States and a member of a foreign league or association.
The P-1A classification also applies to professional or amateur athletes coming temporarily to the United States solely to perform in a specific theatrical ice-skating production or tour, individually or as part of a group.
The P-1S classification is for highly skilled essential support personnel who are an integral part of the successful performance of a P-1A individual athlete or team.
For more information, see our P-1A Athlete page.
How to File
Your employer, agent or sponso must:
- Read the instructions for Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker;
- Complete and sign Form I-129;
- Pay the filing fee, if applicable; and
- Provide all required evidence and supporting documentation.
Want status updates about your case? Learn how to create a USCIS online account to stay informed.
After You File
Once we receive your form, your employer, agent or sponsor will receive a:
- Receipt notice confirming we received your petition;
- Biometric services notice, if applicable;
- Notice to appear for an interview, if required; and
- Notice of our decision.