U.S. Citizen Petition for a Preference Relative to Become a Lawful Permanent Resident

Older and younger woman hugging while smiling at the camera.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may be able to apply for certain family members to become a lawful permanent resident (get their Green Card).  Becoming a lawful permanent resident is a two-part process which includes the petition you file for your relative (Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative) and your relative’s application for adjustment of status (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) or an immigrant visa through the Department of State.    

File Online

Last Reviewed/Updated: