Skip to main content

U.S. Citizen Petition for an Adopted Child

Man and woman sitting on the grass blowing bubbles with baby boy.

Each year, thousands of U.S. citizens adopt children from overseas. As a U.S. citizen you may petition for your adoptive child through an immediate relative petition. Your child will receive an immigrant visa if we find them eligible.

The Hague Adoption Convention is an international agreement to safeguard intercountry adoptions. Generally, you must follow the Hague Adoption Convention process and file Form I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative, to adopt a child from a country that is a party to the Hague Adoption Convention. However, under certain circumstances, you may file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a child from a Hague Adoption Convention country if you can establish that the Hague Adoption Convention does not apply to the adoption.

File Online

Last Reviewed/Updated: