U.S. Citizen Petition for an Immediate Relative to Become a Lawful Permanent Resident

Two women smiling as they embrace

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may be able to petition for certain family members to become a lawful permanent resident (get their Green Card). Becoming a lawful permanent resident is a two-part process. You must file a petition for your relative (Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative) and your relative must apply for adjustment of status (using Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) or for an immigrant visa through the Department of State.

File Online

Last Reviewed/Updated: