G-639, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request
Make a Request Using the Paper G-639
Use Form G-639 to request access to information under the Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts (FOIA/PA).
Do not use the G-639:
- To check the status of a pending case. Please visit uscis.gov/casestatus or call our USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283.
- For consular notification of a visa petition approval. Use Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition.
- For the return of original documents. Use Form G-884, Request for Return of Original Documents.
- For records of naturalization before Sept. 27, 1906. Contact the clerk of court where naturalization occurred.
- For information on USCIS manifest arrivals before December 1982. Contact the National Archives.
- To obtain proof of status, such as a Social Security benefit or Selective Service requirement.
- To obtain a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record, which involves an agency decision. The Office of Records Management prepares this documentation. See the Special Instructions section below for additional information.
Number of Pages
Form 5; instructions 7.
06/20/19. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
Where to File
NEW ONLINE SERVICE: You can now request some USCIS records online. To request your own immigration record, as well as agency policies, data, and communications, submit your FOIA request online at first.uscis.gov.
To request an immigration record on behalf of someone else, you must use one of the mail, fax, or e-mail request options listed below. You can also use Form G-639, but it is not required.
National Records Center (NRC)
P.O. Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010
Don’t forget to sign your form! Your signature must be notarized or submitted under penalty of perjury. For more information Form G-639 Instructions (PDF, 241 KB).
The fee charged for a FOIA/Privacy Act Request may vary. See the G-639 instructions (PDF) for more information. Do not send any money with this request.
If you would like to get a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record, please mail your request to:
Attn: Records Services Branch
1200 1st St. NE, 2nd Floor
Washington, D.C. 20529-2204