G-639, Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act Request
Purpose of Form
This form is used to request access to information under the Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts.
Number of Pages
Form 4; Instructions 7.
03/31/15. We cannot accept previous editions. (The edition date can be found at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.)
Where to File
National Records Center (NRC)
P.O. Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010
Fax: (816) 350-5785
Additional Information for Completing Your Form:
If you submit Form G-639 on paper: Be sure to sign the form at Part 2, Item Number 7.a., Requestor’s Signature. The fillable version of Form G-639 now includes “Don’t forget to sign!” messages and an arrow pointing to the signature box as reminders for when you print the completed form for mailing. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form G-639. Having to return it to you for a signature will delay processing of your request.
Do not use this form:
- To determine the status of pending applications. (For status inquires, write to the USCIS office where the application was filed or call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.)
- For consular notification of a visa petition approval, (use Form I-824 Application for action on an Approved Application or Petition).
- For the return of original documents, (use Form G-884, Request for Return of Original Documents).
- For records of naturalization prior to September 27, 1906, (contact the clerk of court where naturalization occurred.)
- For information on USCIS manifest arrivals prior to December 1982, (contact the National Archives.)
- To obtain proof of status (i.e., Social Security benefit, Selective Service requirement).
Certifications: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record involves an agency decision. The Office of Records Management prepares this documentation. Requests for this service should be addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ATTN: Records Services Branch, 1200 First Street, NE, 2nd Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529-2204.
Note on Filing Fee: The fee charged for a FOIA/Privacy Act Request may vary. See the instructions on the form itself for further details. You do not need to send any money with your request.
This page can be found at https://www.uscis.gov/g-639