Green Card for an Afghan or Iraqi Translator

An Afghan or Iraqi translator who has served the U.S. government may apply for a special immigrant visa.

Refer to Section 1059 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 (Pub. Law No. 109-163, 119 Stat, 3136) as amended by Pub. Law No. 110-36, 121 Stat. 227 for the complete law.

Application Process

To obtain a Green Card as an Iraqi or Afghan translator, whether you live inside or outside the United States, you must first file Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant.  For more information on filing Form I-360 as an Afghan or Iraqi translator, see the “Form I-360” (PDF, 305 KB) and "Expanded SIV status for Afghan and Iraqi Translators and Interpreters” (PDF) pages.

If You Live Outside the United States

If your Form I-360 is approved, USCIS will forward the approved petition to the Department of State for consular processing of the special immigrant visa.  For more information on getting a Special Immigrant Visa overseas, see the “Consular Processing” page.

If You Live Inside the United States

If your Form I-360 has been approved, and you did not enter the United States on a special immigrant visa, you need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to obtain a Green Card through adjustment of status.

Eligibility Criteria for Adjustment of Status

You may be eligible to receive a Green Card as an Afghan or Iraqi translator if:

  • You were paroled or admitted as a nonimmigrant into the United States
  • You have an approved Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant,  under section 1059 (as an Afghan or Iraqi national who served as translator
  • There is a visa immediately available for you at the time you file Form I-485

Note: If you entered the United States as a refugee, you cannot apply for a Green Card as an Afghan or Iraqi translator, you need to apply as a refugee. For more information on obtaining a Green Card through refugee status, see the Green Card for a Refugee page.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

The following evidence should be submitted with Form I-485:

  • Two passport-style photos
  • Copy of government issued photo identification
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
  • Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp (if applicable)
  • Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record (if applicable)
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
  • Applicable fees
  • Copy of the approval notice for Form I-360 (Form I-797 Notice of Action)
  • Certified copies of court records (if you have ever been arrested)

Work and Travel Authorization

Generally, when you have a pending Form I-485, it is possible for you to apply for authorization to work in the United States and to seek advance parole (advance permission to travel and be admitted to the United States upon your return). For further information, see the Employment Authorization and Travel Documents pages.

Last Reviewed/Updated: