Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

If an asylee plans to depart the United States, he or she must obtain permission to return to the United States before departure by obtaining a Refugee Travel Document (RTD). The asylee’s derivatives, if any, will also have to obtain refugee travel documents before leaving the United States. A Refugee Travel Document may be used for temporary travel abroad and is required for readmission to the United States as an asylee. If an asylee does not obtain a Refugee Travel Document in advance of departure, he or she may be unable to re-enter the United States, or the asylee may be placed in removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge.

To apply for a RTD, an asylee or asylum applicant will need to submit a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with the required fee or request for fee waiver under 8 CFR § 103.7(c) to:

Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87131

Lincoln, NE 68501-7131

For more information about refugee travel documents, see “How Do I Get A Refugee Travel Document?” in the links below.  Additional information can also be found by clicking on the Fact Sheet, “Traveling Outside the United States as an Asylum Applicant, an Asylee, or a Lawful Permanent Resident Who Obtained Such Status Based on Asylum Status”.

Last Reviewed/Updated: