Special Situations

Sometimes natural catastrophes and other extreme situations can occur that are beyond your control. These events can affect your USCIS application, petition or immigration status. We cannot anticipate these events, but will do our best to help you get the benefits for which you qualify.

When requested, the following options may be available to people affected by natural catastrophes and other extreme situations:

Extensions & Changes of Status
We recognize that when affected by a disaster you may, through no fault of your own, fall out of status. When applying for an extension or change in status due to a disaster, we may consider your request if you show how it is directly connected to the disaster. Failure to apply for the extension or change before expiration of your authorized period of admission may be excused if the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control.

Fee Waiver
If you are unable to pay the fee for a USCIS service or benefit, you may request that your fee be waived for certain forms by filing a Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver (or a written request).

Employment Authorization
As an academic student, you may need to work off-campus if a disaster has affected your ability to support yourself. The disaster may occur in the United States and prevent you from working on-campus or the disaster may occur overseas and affect your economic support. If you can demonstrate that you are from an affected country or region and you have been recommended for such employment by the Designated School Official (DSO), you may be eligible to receive employment authorization when filing the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Employers and Employees:

All Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, requirements remain in place. See Form I-9 acceptable documents and receipts for more information on how to complete the Form I-9 if an employee’s documents are lost, stolen, or damaged. Visit I-9 Central for more information.

E-Verify remains available to employers affected by disasters, both directly through the E-Verify web portal and through E-Verify employer agents. If you have any questions or issues related to using E-Verify from a remote location, please contact E-Verify Support at 1-888-464-4218 (for employers) or 888-897-7781 (for employees).  

Document Replacement
If you have lost your USCIS-issued documents through no fault of your own, you may show your need for replacing the documents.

To replace a/n...You must file a...
Green CardForm I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card, or request interim evidence of permanent residence stamp (I-551 stamp) from a USCIS Field Office
Form I-94Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure Record

Employment Authorization Document

Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

Abandonment or Failure to Respond to a Request for Evidence
If you have not appeared for a scheduled interview or submitted evidence timely in response to a notice or request, you may show how the disrupting event affected your connection to USCIS and your ability to appear or submit documents as required.

Expedited Processing
If you need USCIS to consider your request for a service or benefit more quickly, you may make that request when filing or after you file.

To learn how to request any of the above immigration services, call us at 800-375-5283 (TDD for the deaf and hard of hearing: 800-767-1833).

Last Reviewed/Updated: