Deferred Enforced Departure

Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) is in the president’s discretion to authorize as part of his power to conduct foreign relations. Although DED is not a specific immigration status, individuals covered by DED are not subject to removal from the United States, usually for a designated period of time.

Countries that are Currently Covered Under DED

CountryEffective Date of DEDExpiration DateEAD Automatically Extended Through
LiberiaOct. 1, 2007 (by President Bush's order of Sept. 12, 2007)March 31, 2019Sept. 30, 2018

DED Eligibility

Eligibility requirements for a country’s nationals who are covered under DED is based on the terms of the president’s directive regarding DED for that country and any relevant implementing requirements established by DHS.

Working in the United States

If work authorization is provided as a benefit of DED for your country, then you may request work authorization by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Automatic Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Extension

Sometimes DHS must issue a blanket automatic extension of the expiring EADs for DED beneficiaries of a specific country to allow time for EADs with new validity dates to be issued. The Federal Register will tell you if your EAD has been temporarily auto-extended and to what date.

Unless you are found to no longer be eligible for DED, you may show your DED-related EAD that has expired and a copy of the Federal Register notice to employers and government agencies (federal, state, and local).  Employers are advised that they may rely on the Federal Register notice as evidence of the continuing validity of your EAD.

If you are an employer or government agency with questions or concerns about the automatic EAD extension, you may contact:

  • USCIS Form I-9 Support: 888-464-4218
  • U.S. Department of Justice, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section (IER) Employer Hotline: 800-255-8155

If you are an employee with questions or concerns about the automatic EAD extension, you may contact the Office of Special Council Employee Hotline at 800-255-7688.

Travel Outside the United States

If travel authorization is provided as a benefit of DED for your country, you must file for advance parole if you wish to travel. Advance parole gives you permission to leave the United States and return during a specified period. To request advance parole, you must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.

If you leave the United States without first receiving advanced parole, you may no longer be eligible for DED and may not be permitted to re-enter the United States.

Last Reviewed/Updated: