Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: Burma (Myanmar)

ALERT: On August 3, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas announced the extensions of the registration periods from 180 days to 18 months for initial (new) applicants under the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) designations for Venezuela, Syria, and Burma.  

The 18-month registration period for initial applications under the TPS designation for Venezuela now runs through Sept. 9, 2022.

The 18-month registration period for initial applications under the redesignation of Syria for TPS now runs through Sept. 30, 2022.

The 18-month registration period for initial applications under the TPS designation for Burma (Myanmar) now runs through Nov. 25, 2022.

For additional information, please see the Federal Register notice.

TPS Designated Through: Nov. 25, 2022
Registration Period: May 25, 2021 – Nov. 25, 2022
Continuous Residence in U.S. Since: March 11, 2021
Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since: May 25, 2021
TPS Designation Date: May 25, 2021
Federal Register Notice Citation:

86 FR 28132

Link to TPS extension FRN

When to File for TPS

If you are applying for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) under Burma’s designation, effective May 25, 2021, you must register during the 180-day registration period that runs from May 25, 2021, through Nov. 22, 2021. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 180-day registration period.

Go to the TPS page for information about registering.

Where to File

If you are applying for TPS Burma for the first time, you may file Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, online. Only initial applicants from certain countries are eligible to file Form I-821 online. All other TPS applicants and current beneficiaries who are re-registering under the extension of a TPS designation must continue to file a paper Form I-821. When filing an initial TPS application, you can also request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by submitting a completed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, online with your Form I-821.

File Online

If an initial TPS applicant from a country not currently eligible for online filing of Form I-821, or a re-registrant files Form I-821 online, USCIS will deny the application and retain the fee.

If you are filing for a replacement EAD for already granted TPS, send your TPS package to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you send your paper application via: Then, mail your application to:
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

Attn: TPS Burma
P.O. Box 6943
Chicago, IL  60680-6943

FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

Attn: TPS Burma (Box 6943)
131 S. Dearborn St. 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL  60603-5517

If we approve your TPS registration application and you filed Form I-765 and paid the fee for an EAD (or if we approved your fee waiver request), we will issue you an EAD with an expiration date of Nov. 25, 2022.

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step-by-step instructions on submitting an initial TPS application package, go to the TPS page.

Other Immigration Options

You might be eligible for other immigration options listed on the Explore My Options page.

To apply for lawful permanent resident status (a Green Card), you must be eligible under one of the categories listed on the Green Card Eligibility Categories page. Once you find the category that may fit your situation, click on the link provided to get information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, and whether your family members can also apply with you.

Note on Seeking Asylum: Being granted and maintaining TPS for a reasonable period before the filing of the asylum application is considered an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of the one-year filing deadline. In other words, having TPS status “stops the clock” on the requirement to file for asylum within one year of arriving in the United States, if the one-year clock has not already expired. See 8 CFR 208.4(a)(5)(iv).

Avoid Scams

Please be aware that some unauthorized practitioners may try to take advantage of you by claiming they can file TPS forms. These same individuals may ask that you pay them to file such forms. We want to ensure that all potential TPS applicants know how to obtain legitimate, accurate legal advice and assistance. A list of accredited representatives and free or low-cost legal providers is available on the USCIS finding legal advice webpage.

We do not want you to become a victim of an immigration scam. If you need legal advice on immigration matters, make sure the person helping you is authorized to give legal advice. Only an attorney or an accredited representative working for a Department of Justice (DOJ) recognized organization can give you legal advice. Visit the Avoid Scams page for information and resources.

Related Links
Last Reviewed/Updated: