Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: Somalia


TPS Extended through:

Sept. 17, 2018

Re-registration Period for People Who Already Have TPS:

Jan.17, 2017- March 20, 2017

Continuous Residence Date in U.S. Since:

May 1, 2012

Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since:

Sept.18, 2012

TPS Designation Date:

Sept. 16, 1991

TPS Re-designation Dates:

Sept. 4, 2001, and Sept.18, 2012

Federal Register Notice Citation:

80 FR 4905

When to File for TPS

In order for you to maintain Temporary Protected Status (TPS), you must re-register during the 60-day re-registration period that runs from Jan. 17, 2017 through March 20, 2017. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 60-day re-registration period.

If you have never been granted TPS, you may be eligible to file a late initial application.

Where to File

Send your TPS package to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you:

 Then, mail your application to:

Are re-registering for TPS
Are registering for the first time for TPS and submitting a late inital filing

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn:  TPS Somalia
P.O. Box 6943
Chicago, IL  60680-6943

Would like to send your application by courier for


Are submitting a late initial filing

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: TPS Somalia
131 S. Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Automatic Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

USCIS has automatically extended the validity of employment authorization documents (EADs) issued under the last extension of TPS Somalia for an additional 6 months, through Sept. 17, 2017. If you are a TPS beneficiary under the Somalia designation and your EAD is based on your TPS status with an original expiration date of March 17, 2017, your EAD is covered by this automatic extension and you may continue to work.

To prove that you are authorized to continue working legally, you may show the following documentation to your employer and government agencies:

  • Your TPS-related EAD with a March 17, 2017 expiration date; and
  • A copy of the Federal Register notice announcing the automatic extension.

Your employer may rely on the Federal Register notice as evidence of the continuing validity of your EAD. Go to the “Documentation Employers May Accept and Temporary Protected Status Beneficiaries May Present as Evidence of Employment Eligibility” page for more information. 

If USCIS approves your TPS re-registration application and you paid the fee for a new EAD (or USCIS approved your fee waiver request), you will be issued a new EAD with the expiration date of Sept. 17, 2018.

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step-by-step instructions on submitting a re-registration or initial TPS application package, go the TPS webpage.

Last Reviewed/Updated: