Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: South Sudan


TPS Extended Through:

May 2, 2019

Re-registration Period for People Who Already Have TPS:

September 21, 2017 – November 20, 2017

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Auto-Extended Through:

May 1, 2018, but only for beneficiaries who re-register and request a new EAD

Continuous Residence Date in U.S. Since:

January 25, 2016

Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since:

May 3, 2016

TPS Designation Date:

November 3, 2011

TPS Redesignation Date:

September 2, 2014 and January 25, 2016

Federal Register Notice Citation:

 82 FR 44205


On September 18, 2017, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the extension of South Sudan for TPS and that eligible South Sudanese nationals (and persons without nationality who last habitually resided in South Sudan) in the United States may apply for TPS.

When to File for TPS

If you currently have TPS for South Sudan and would like to keep your TPS status, you must re-register during the 60-day re-registration period that runs from September 21, 2017 through November 20, 2017. We encourage you to register as soon as possible after the 60-day re-registration period opens.

If you have never been granted TPS, you may be eligible to file a late initial application. Go to the “Filing Late” section on the TPS Web page for more information.

Automatic Employment Authorization Document Extension

Eligible TPS South Sudan beneficiaries who re-register and request a new EAD during the 60-day re-registration period may receive an automatic extension of their expiring EAD for up to 180 days from the date the current EAD expires. TPS beneficiaries are strongly encouraged to file their EAD applications as early as possible during the 60-day re-registration period to avoid lapses in documentation of employment authorization.

New Employment Authorization Document

 If USCIS approves your TPS re-registration application and you paid the fee for a new EAD (or USCIS approved your fee waiver request), you will be issued a new EAD with the expiration date of May 2, 2019.

TPS Program Information

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step by step instructions on submitting a re-registration or initial TPS application package go the TPS Web page.

Special Filing Instructions

TPS Sudan Beneficiaries Who Are Now Applying for TPS Under South Sudan

If you are a current Sudan TPS beneficiary, but are now filing under South Sudan TPS because you are now a national of South Sudan, you:

* Do not need to pay the TPS application fee (Form I-821)

* Do need to pay the $85 biometrics services fee if you are age 14 or older

* Must pay the $410 EAD fee, if you want an EAD

Additional information if you have a an initial pending Sudan TPS Application

If you…And you…Then USCIS will …

Still have an initial pending TPS

application under the Sudan TPS

designation and you paid the $50 Form I-

821 fee and the biometrics services fee (if

age 14 or older)

Are now filing a new application as a national of South SudanApply the fees you have already paid for the Sudan TPS application to your new South Sudan application.

Applied for Sudan TPS and have been

granted a waiver for those fees, or your

fee-waiver request is pending

Are now filing a new application as a national of South SudanNot require you to reapply for a fee waiver. USCIS will apply the fee waiver to your South Sudan TPS application

Special Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Instructions

If you requested an EAD with your prior TPS Sudan application and you have received that EAD, you need to pay the $410 EAD fee if you want a new EAD under the South Sudan designation.

If you have a pending Form I-765 requesting an EAD under Sudan TPS and you are now registering under South Sudan TPS, you do not have to pay the $410EAD fee again, provided that USCIS has not sent you the EAD yet. You must submit:

  • the Form I-765 with the Form I-821, but do not check any of the boxes at the top of the Form I-765; and
  • a letter explaining that you have a pending Form I-765 under Sudan TPS.

USCIS will then automatically put the pending Form I-765 with the Form I-821 you submit for South Sudan TPS together.

Where to File

Where to File

If you are filing for a replacement EAD for already granted TPS, re-registration of TPS, or filing an initial application, please follow instructions below. E-filing is not currently available for TPS for Sudan. You must send your TPS package by mail or courier to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you…Then, mail your application to…
Are applying though the US. Postal Service.U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Attn: TPS South Sudan P.O. Box 6943 Chicago, IL 60680-6943
You are using FedEx, UPS, or DHL delivery service.U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Attn: TPS South Sudan 131 S. Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Other Immigration Options

You might be eligible for other immigration options listed on the Explore My Options page.

To apply for a lawful permanent status (Green Card), you must be eligible under one of the categories listed on the Green Card Eligibility Categories page. Once you find the category that may fit your situation, click on the link provided to get information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, and whether your family members can also apply with you.

Note on Seeking Asylum: Being granted and maintaining TPS status until a reasonable period before the filing of the asylum application is considered an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of the one year filing deadline. In other words, having TPS status “stops the clock” on the requirement to file for asylum within one year of arriving in the United States, if the one-year clock has not already expired. See 8 CFR 208.4(a)(5)(iv).

Avoid Scams

Please be aware that some unauthorized practitioners may try to take advantage of you by claiming they can file TPS forms. These same individuals may ask that you pay them to file such forms. We want to ensure that all potential TPS applicants know how to obtain legitimate, accurate legal advice and assistance. A list of accredited representatives and free or low-cost legal providers is available on the USCIS website on the finding legal advice web page.

We don’t want you to become a victim of an immigration scam. If you need legal advice on immigration matters, make sure the person helping you is authorized to give legal advice. Only an attorney or an accredited representative working for a Department of Justice (DOJ) recognized organization can give you legal advice. Visit the Avoid Scams page for information and resources.



Last Reviewed/Updated: