Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: Yemen

TPS Extended Through:

Sept 3, 2021
Re-Registration Period for Aliens Who Already Have TPS: March 2, 2020 – May 1, 2020
Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Auto-Extended Through: Aug 30, 2020
Continuous Residence in the U.S. Since: Jan. 4, 2017
Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since: March 4, 2017
TPS Designation Date: Sept. 3, 2015
Current TPS Designation: March 4, 2017
Federal Register Notice Citation: 85 FR 12313 (PDF)

When to File for TPS

To maintain TPS, you must re-register during the 60-day re-registration period that runs from March 2, 2020 through May 1, 2020. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 60-day registration period.

Go to the TPS page for information about re-registering.

Where to File

If you are filing for a replacement EAD for already granted TPS or for re-registration of TPS, send your TPS package by mail or courier to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you would like to send your application by: Then, mail your application to:

U.S. Postal Service

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: TPS Yemen
P.O. Box 6943
Chicago, IL 60680-6943

A non-U.S. Postal Service courier

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: TPS Yemen
131 S. Dearborn St., 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Automatic Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Extension

USCIS has automatically extended the validity of Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) issued under the TPS designation for Yemen with an original expiration date of March 3, 2020, for 180 days, through Aug. 30, 2020. Additionally, aliens who have EADs with an expiration date of Sept. 3, 2018 and who applied for a new EAD during the last re-registration period but have not yet received their new EAD are also covered by this automatic extension. If your EAD is covered by this automatic extension, you may continue to use your existing EAD through Aug. 30, 2020, as evidence that you are authorized to work.

To prove that you are authorized to continue working legally, you may show the following documentation to your employer. Government agencies may also accept these documents if they need to determine your immigration status:

  • Your TPS-related EAD with a Sept. 3, 2018, expiration date and your EAD application receipt (Form I-797C, Notice of Action) that notes the application was received on or after Aug. 14, 2018; or
  • Your TPS-related EAD with a March 3, 2020, expiration date.

Your employer may rely on the Federal Register notice (PDF) as evidence of the continuing validity of your EAD. Go to the Documentation Employers May Accept and Temporary Protected Status Beneficiaries May Present as Evidence of Employment Eligibility page for more information.

If we approve your TPS re-registration application and you paid the fee for a new EAD (or we approved your fee-waiver request), you will be issued an EAD with the expiration date of September 3, 2021.

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step-by-step instructions, go to the TPS page.

Note to All Employers

For general questions about the employment eligibility verification process, visit the I-9 Central Temporary Protected Status page, call USCIS at 888-464-4218 (TTY: 877-875-6028), or email USCIS at i- 9central@dhs.gov. We accept calls and emails in English and many other languages.

For questions about avoiding discrimination during the employment eligibility verification process, you may also call the U.S. Department of Justice’s Immigrant and Employee Rights Section (IER) Employer Hotline (which offers language interpretation in many languages) at 800-255-8155 (TTY: 800- 237-2515), or email IER at osccrt@usdoj.gov.

Other Immigration Options

You might be eligible for other immigration options listed on the Explore My Options page.

To apply for a lawful permanent status (Green Card), you must be eligible under one of the categories listed on the Green Card Eligibility Categories page. Once you find the category that may fit your situation, click on the link provided to get information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, and whether your family members can also apply with you.

Note on Seeking Asylum: Being granted and maintaining TPS until a reasonable period before the filing of the asylum application is considered an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of the one-year filing deadline. In other words, having TPS status “stops the clock” on the requirement to file for asylum within one year of arriving in the United States, if the one-year clock has not already expired. See 8 CFR 208.4(a)(5)(iv).

Avoid Scams 

Please be aware that some unauthorized practitioners may try to take advantage of you by claiming they can file TPS forms. These same individuals may ask that you pay them to obtain such forms; however, all USCIS forms are free for download from the USCIS website at uscis.gov/forms. We want to ensure that all potential TPS applicants know how to obtain legitimate, accurate legal advice and assistance. A link to a list of accredited representatives and free or low-cost legal providers is available on the USCIS website on the Find Legal Services webpage.

We do not want you to become a victim of an immigration scam. If you need legal advice on immigration matters, make sure the person helping you is authorized to give legal advice. Only an attorney or an accredited representative working for a Department of Justice (DOJ) recognized organization can give you legal advice. Visit the Avoid Scams page for information and resources.

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: