I-485 Supplement J, Confirmation of Bona Fide Job Offer or Request for Job Portability Under INA Section 204(j)
Use Supplement J to:
- Confirm that the job offered to you in Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers, remains a bona fide job offer that you intend to accept when we approve your Form I 485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If you are filing or previously filed Form I-485 based on being the beneficiary of a valid Form I-140 in an employment-based immigrant visa category that requires a job offer, you must file Supplement J instead of submitting a job offer letter; or
- Request job portability under INA section 204(j) to a new, full-time, permanent job offer that you intend to accept when we approve your Form I-485. This new job offer must be in the same or a similar occupational classification as the job offered to you in the Form I-140 that is the basis of your Form I-485. For more information about how we determine which jobs are the same or similar, please see USCIS Policy Manual [7 USCIS-PM E.5].
02/21/23. We will also accept the 12/23/22 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
If you complete and print this form to mail it, make sure that the form edition date and page numbers are visible at the bottom of all pages and that all pages are from the same form edition. If any of the form’s pages are missing or are from a different form edition, we may reject your form.
If you need help downloading and printing forms, read our instructions.
Review the information below to see where you should file your Form I-485 Supplement J.
Applications that are not mailed to the correct address may experience processing delays.
|If you are filing Supplement J:||Then:|
|With Form I-485 and without Form I-140:||File Supplement J together with your Form I-485 at the filing address of your Form I-485.|
|To request job portability based on a Form I-485 that has been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more:||File Supplement J at the filing address of your Form I-485.|
|In response to a Request for Evidence (RFE) or a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) that we sent to you:||Submit Supplement J along with your RFE or NOID response at the address specified in the RFE or NOID.|
If you are filing Form I-485 together with a Form I-140 that names you as the beneficiary, you do not need to file Supplement J.
If you are filing Form I-485 separately based on a previously filed Form I-140, you must file Supplement J when:
- You initially file your employment-based Form I-485 with USCIS; or
- We send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) or a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID).
We may also request that you file Supplement J again before we make a final decision on your Form I-485.
If you are requesting job portability to a new, permanent job offer under INA section 204(j), you may file Supplement J only after:
- You have properly filed a Form I-485 based on an approved or pending Form I-140 that names you as the beneficiary;
- The Form I-485 has been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more since the receipt date; and
- You have received:
- A new, permanent job offer from a U.S. employer that is in the same or similar occupational classification as the job offered to you in the original Form I-140, and you would like to request that we use the new job offer when making a decision on your Form I-485; or
- An RFE or a NOID from USCIS regarding your pending Form I-485 that asks for confirmation that the job offered to you in the Form I-140 or a previously filed Supplement J is still available to you; or
- A NOID from USCIS regarding your Form I-485 because the petitioner has withdrawn the Form I-140 filed for you, or the petitioner of your Form I-140 has gone out of business.
A noncitizen with a pending adjustment of status application who requests to transfer the underlying basis of their application to a different Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, may sometimes be required to submit a Supplement J as supporting evidence.
For more information about how and where to submit transfer of underlying basis requests, including those supported by a Supplement J, please see Green Card for Employment-Based Immigrants, Transfer of Underlying Basis.
It is important that you submit a completed Supplement J that includes your information and your employer’s physical address. Submitting the form with incorrect addresses, such as using an attorney’s address instead of the employer’s physical address, or with missing information may result in us issuing you an RFE, which will delay the processing of your Form I-485.
Filing Tips: Go to our Tips for Filing Forms by Mail page for information on how to help ensure we will accept your application.
Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.
Track the Status of Your Supplement J
You will receive a receipt number if we accept your Supplement J. You can use this number to check the status of your form on our Case Status Online page.
You may call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 (TTY: 1-800-767-1833 if you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability) to receive information on the status of your Supplement J under the circumstances noted in the chart below.
|If you filed Supplement J...||You may contact the USCIS Contact Center...|
|Together with Form I-485||After the processing time shown on our USCIS Processing Time Information page has passed and you have not received a decision. You must provide the USCIS Contact Center with information from your Form I-485 receipt notice.|
|To request job portability||After 120 days from the date shown on the Supplement J receipt notice.|
We may use Validation Instrument for Business Enterprises (VIBE) to validate the basic information about the companies or organizations listed on the Supplement J. For more information, please visit uscis.gov/vibe.