I-485 Supplement J, Confirmation of Bona Fide Job Offer or Request for Job Portability Under INA Section 204(j)
Use Supplement J to:
- Confirm that the job offered to you in Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers, remains a bona fide job offer that you intend to accept when we approve your Form I 485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If you are filing or previously filed Form I-485 based on being the beneficiary of a valid Form I-140 in an employment-based immigrant visa category that requires a job offer, you must file Supplement J instead of submitting a job offer letter; or
- Request job portability under INA section 204(j) to a new, full-time, permanent job offer that you intend to accept when we approve your Form I-485. This new job offer must be in the same or a similar occupational classification as the job offered to you in the Form I-140 that is the basis of your Form I-485. For more information about how we determine which jobs are the same or similar, please see USCIS Policy Manual [7 USCIS-PM E.5].
12/23/22. If you file Form I-485 Supplement J on or after Dec. 23, 2022, you must use the 12/23/22 edition or we will reject your filing. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
If you complete and print this form to mail it in, make sure that the form edition date and page numbers are visible at the bottom of all pages and that all pages are from the same edition of the form. If any of the form’s pages are missing or are from a different edition of the form, we may reject your form.
If you need help downloading and printing forms, read our instructions.
If you are filing Form I-485 without Form I-140, or if you are requesting job portability based on a Form I-485 that has been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more, file Supplement J at the filing address for your Form I 485. See our Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status page to determine where to file your form, and see the Special Instructions section of this page for information about when to file Supplement J.
If we sent you a Request for Evidence (RFE) or a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) requesting that you file Supplement J, please submit it with your response to the RFE or NOID at the address specified.
It is very important that you submit a completed Supplement J, especially including your information and your employer’s physical address. Submitting the form with incorrect addresses, such as using an attorney’s address instead of the employer’s physical address, or with missing information may result in us issuing you an RFE, which will delay the processing of your Form I-485.
Filing Tips: Go to our Tips for Filing Forms by Mail page for information on how to help ensure we will accept your application.
Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.
When to File Supplement J
If you are filing Form I-485 together with a Form I-140 that names you as the beneficiary, you do not need to file Supplement J.
If you are filing Form I-485 based on a previously filed Form I-140, you must file Supplement J when:
- You initially file your employment-based Form I-485 with USCIS; or
- We send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) or a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID).
We may also request that you file Supplement J again before we make a final decision on your Form I-485.
If you are requesting job portability to a new, permanent job offer under INA section 204(j), you may file Supplement J only after:
- You have properly filed a Form I-485 based on an approved or pending Form I-140 that names you as the beneficiary;
- The Form I-485 has been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more since the receipt date; and
- You have received:
- A new, permanent job offer from a U.S. employer that is in the same or similar occupational classification as the job offered to you in the original Form I-140, and you would like to request that we use the new job offer when making a decision on your Form I-485; or
- An RFE or a NOID from USCIS regarding your pending Form I-485 that asks for confirmation that the job offered to you in the Form I-140 or a previously filed Supplement J is still available to you; or
- A NOID from USCIS regarding your Form I-485 because the petitioner has withdrawn the Form I-140 filed for you, or the petitioner of your Form I-140 has gone out of business.
Track the Status of Your Supplement J
You will receive a receipt number if we accept your Supplement J. You can use this number to check the status of your form on our Case Status Online page.
You may call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 (TTY for the deaf, hard of hearing, or person with a speech disability: 1-800-767-1833) for information on the status of your Supplement J under the circumstances in the chart below.
|If you filed Supplement J...||You may contact the USCIS Contact Center...|
|Together with Form I-485||After the processing time shown on our USCIS Processing Time Information page has passed and you have not received a decision. You must provide the USCIS Contact Center with information from your Form I-485 receipt notice.|
|To request job portability||After 120 days from the date shown on the Supplement J receipt notice.|
We may use Validation Instrument for Business Enterprises (VIBE) to validate the basic information about the companies or organizations listed on the Supplement J. For more information, please visit uscis.gov/vibe.