I-485 Supplement J, Confirmation of Bona Fide Job Offer or Request for Job Portability Under INA Section 204(j)

ALERT: Judges before U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of New York (PDF, 68 KB)Northern District of California (PDF, 888 KB)Eastern District of Washington (PDF, 631 KB)Northern District of Illinois (PDF, 137 KB), and District of Maryland (PDF, 498 KB) have ordered that DHS cannot implement and enforce the final rule on the public charge ground of inadmissibility under section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The court orders also postpone the effective date of the final rule until there is final resolution in the cases. Most of the injunctions are nationwide, and prevent USCIS from implementing the rule anywhere in the United States. Until final decisions in these cases are issued or the injunctions are lifted, USCIS will only accept the version of this form that is available on this landing page. We will reject any other version of this form and will notify you to submit your benefit request on the correct form. If we reject your benefit request, you will not keep your filing date.

Use Supplement J to:

  • Confirm that the job offered to you in Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, remains a bona fide job offer that you intend to accept once we approve your Form I 485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Beginning Jan. 17, 2017, if you are filing or have previously filed Form I-485 based on being the principal beneficiary of a valid Form I-140 in an employment-based immigrant visa category that requires a job offer, you will need to file Supplement J instead of submitting a job offer letter;


Number of Pages

Form 7; instructions 8

Edition Date

07/15/19. We will also accept the 12/13/17 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Where to File

If you are filing a Form I-485 without the Form I-140, or if you are requesting job portability based on a Form I-485 that has been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more, file Supplement J at the filing address for your Form I 485. Review the Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status page to determine where to file your form, and see the Special Instructions section of this page for information about when to file Supplement J.

If we sent you a Request for Evidence (RFE) or a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) requesting that you file Supplement J, please submit it with your response to the RFE or NOID at the address specified.

Filing Fee


Special Instructions

When to File Supplement J

If you are filing Form I-485 together with a Form I-140 that names you as the principal beneficiary, you do not need to file Supplement J.

If you are filing Form I-485 based on a previously filed Form I-140, you must file Supplement J when:

  • You initially file your employment-based Form I-485 with USCIS; or
  • We send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) or a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID).  

We may also request that you file Supplement J again before we make a final decision on your Form I-485.

If you are requesting job portability to a new, permanent job offer under INA section 204(j), you may file Supplement J only after:

  • You have properly filed a Form I-485 based on an approved or pending Form I-140 that names you as the principal beneficiary;
  • The Form I-485 has been pending with USCIS for 180 days or more since the receipt date; and
  • You have received:
    • A new, permanent job offer from a U.S. employer that is in the same or similar occupational classification as the job offered to you in the original Form I-140, and you would like to request that we use the new job offer when making a decision on your Form I-485; or
    • An RFE or a NOID from USCIS regarding your pending Form I-485 that asks for confirmation that the job offered to you in the Form I-140 or a previously filed Supplement J is still available to you; or
    • A NOID from USCIS regarding your Form I-485 because the petitioner has withdrawn the Form I-140 filed for you, or the petitioner of your Form I-140 has gone out of business.

Filing Tips

  • It is very important that you submit a completed Supplement J, especially including the beneficiary and the employer’s physical address. Submitting the form with incorrect addresses, such as using an attorney’s address instead of the employer’s physical address, or with missing information may result in us issuing you an RFE, which will delay the processing of your Form I-485.
  • Go to our Form Filing Tips page for information on how to help ensure that we will accept your application.

Track the Status of Your Supplement J

You will receive a receipt number when you file Supplement J. You can use this number to check the status of your form on our Case Status Online webpage.

You may call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 for information on the status of your Supplement J under these circumstances:

If you filed Supplement J...You may contact the USCIS Contact Center...
Together with Form I-485After the processing time shown on the USCIS Processing Time Information webpage has passed and you have not received a decision. You must provide the USCIS Contact Center with information from your Form I-485 receipt notice.
To request job portabilityAfter 120 days from the date shown on the Supplement J receipt notice.


We may use Validation Instrument for Business Enterprises (VIBE) to validate the basic information about the companies or organizations listed on the Supplement J. For more information, please visit uscis.gov/vibe.

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: