I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
If you are inadmissible to the United States and are seeking an immigrant visa, adjustment of status, certain nonimmigrant statuses, or certain other immigration benefits, you must file this form to seek a waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility. Please refer to the instructions to determine whether you should use this form.
You must submit all 12 pages.
07/20/21. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
The filing location depends on the immigration benefit you are seeking. To view a complete list of addresses, go to our Direct Filing Addresses webpage. If you file at a USCIS lockbox facility, read our filing tips.
Filing Tips for Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:
- Part 1 – Information About You
- Family Name
- Mailing Address
- Date of Birth
Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject any unsigned form.
You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check. When filing at a USCIS lockbox facility, you may also pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request.
Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-601. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your forms. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.
If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.
Did you provide the following?
- Evidence that establishes why you may qualify for a waiver of inadmissibility, which depends on the ground(s) of inadmissibility that apply to you and should include evidence to show why we should grant you a waiver of inadmissibility as a matter of discretion.
- Evidence to support your claim of extreme hardship (if applicable)
- If applying for a waiver that requires you to a showing of extreme hardship to a spouse, parent, son, or daughter of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you must submit evidence establishing the family relationship and evidence that shows the denial of admission would result in extreme hardship to your qualifying relative.
- If you are a VAWA self-petitioner seeking a waiver for immigration fraud or misrepresentation, you may show how the denial of admission would result in extreme hardship to your qualifying relatives or yourself.
- Evidence to support a waiver for inadmissibility due to a communicable disease of public health significance (if applicable).
- Evidence to support your request for a vaccination exemption (if applicable).
- Evidence to support a waiver of inadmissibility due to physical or mental disorder and associated harmful behavior (if applicable).
- Evidence to support a waiver of criminal grounds of inadmissibility found in INA section 212(a)(2) (if applicable)
- Evidence to support waiver for immigration fraud or misrepresentation (if applicable).
- Evidence to support a waiver for inadmissibility because of your membership in a Totalitarian Party (if applicable).
- Evidence to support a waiver for inadmissibility due to alien smuggling (if applicable).
- Evidence to support a waiver of inadmissibility due to being the subject of a civil penalty under INA section 212(a)(6)(F) (if applicable).
- Evidence to support a waiver of the three-or 10-year unlawful presence bar under INA section 212(a)(9)(B)(v) (if applicable).
- If you are a TPS applicant, evidence that a waiver is warranted.
- If you are seeking adjustment of status under NACARA section 202 or HRIFA section 902, and inadmissible under INA section 212(a)(9)(A) or (C), evidence that you warrant a waiver of inadmissibility based on factors that would be considered if you were seeking consent to reapply.
- If you are an approved VAWA self-petitioner or child of an approved VAWA self-petitioner and inadmissible under INA section 212(a)(9)(C)(i), evidence that shows connection between the battery or extreme cruelty that is the basis for the VAWA claim and the self-petitioner’s removal, departure from the United States, reentry or re-entries into the United States, or attempted reentry into the United States.
- Evidence to support waiver if you are an applicant for adjustment of status as a Special Immigrant Juvenile (if applicable)
E-Notification: If you want to receive an e-mail and/or text message that your Form I-601 has been accepted at a USCIS lockbox facility, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and clip it to the first page of your application.
Fee Waiver: We will accept a fee waiver request from:
- A VAWA self-petitioner;
- An applicant for a T visa;
- A battered spouse or child of a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen;
- An applicant for Temporary Protected Status; or
- An alien for whom a determination of their likelihood of becoming a public charge under section 212(a)(4) is not required at the time of their application for admission or adjustment of status.
Please see our Fee Waiver page for more information.
- Centralized Filing and Adjudication for Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
- Policy Memorandum: Requests to Expedite Adjudication of Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, filed by individuals outside the United States; Adjudicator's Field Manual (AFM) Update AD11-10 (PDF, 190.81 KB)
- Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility
- Lockbox Filing Tips
- Fee Calculator