I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
Use Form I-9 to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must properly complete Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form.
On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization. The employee must also present his or her employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization. The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form. Employers must retain Form I-9 for a designated period and make it available for inspection by authorized government officers.
Number of Pages
Form 3; supplement (if applicable): 1; instructions 15
10/21/19. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
Where to File
Do not file Form I-9 with USCIS or U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employers must:
- Have a completed Form I-9 on file for each person on their payroll who is required to complete the form;
- Retain and store Forms I-9 for three years after the date of hire, or for one year after employment is terminated, whichever is later; and
- Make their forms available for inspection if requested by authorized U.S. government officials from the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, or Department of Justice.
Only employers and employees in Puerto Rico can complete the Spanish version of Form I-9. Spanish-speaking employers and employees in the 50 states and other U.S. territories may print this for their reference, but must complete the form in English to meet employment eligibility verification requirements.
To more easily complete Form I-9, download the PDF directly to your computer. You should use the latest version of the free Adobe Reader. The Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari web browsers will prompt you to open or save the form.
To download the form from the Chrome web browser:
- Click the link to the Form I-9 you wish to download.
- Click the arrow that displays in the PDF file download box that will appear in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Select “Show in folder” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Open the form that appears in your Download folder.
For best results, ensure that you use the most current version of the browser of your choice.