I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- Form I-9 (PDF, 551 KB)
- Form I-9 Paper Version (This version is unfillable and must be printed for completion on paper only.) (PDF, 73 KB)
- Form I-9 Supplement, Section 1 Preparer and/or Translator Certification (PDF, 816 KB) (PDF, 854 KB)
- Instructions for Form I-9 (PDF, 565 KB) (PDF, 565 KB)
- Form I-9 in Spanish (May be filled out by employers and employees in Puerto Rico ONLY) (PDF, 416 KB)
- Form I-9 Supplement in Spanish (PDF, 246 KB)
- Instructions for Form I-9 in Spanish (PDF, 295 KB)
Purpose of Form
Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form. On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization. The employee must also present his or her employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization. The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form. Employers must retain Form I-9 for a designated period and make it available for inspection by authorized government officers. NOTE: State agencies may use Form I-9. Also, some agricultural recruiters and referrers for a fee may be required to use Form I-9.
Number of Pages
Form 3; Supplement (if applicable): 1; Instructions 15
Where to File
Do not file Form I-9 with USCIS or U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employers must have a completed Form I-9 on file for each person on their payroll who is required to complete the form. Form I-9 must be retained and stored by the employer either for three years after the date of hire or for one year after employment is terminated, whichever is later. The form must be available for inspection by authorized U.S. Government officials from the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, or Department of Justice.
The Spanish version of Form I-9 may be filled out by employers and employees in Puerto Rico ONLY. Spanish-speaking employers and employees in the 50 states and other U.S. territories may print this for their reference, but may only complete the form in English to meet employment eligibility verification requirements.
To more easily complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, download the PDF directly to your computer. You should use the latest version of the free Adobe Reader. The Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari web browsers will prompt you to open or save the form.
To download the form from the Chrome web browser:
- Click the link to the Form I-9 you wish to download.
- Click the arrow that displays in the PDF file download box that will appear in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Select ‘Show in folder’ from the drop-down that appears.
- Open the form that appears in your Download folder.
For best results, ensure that you use the most current version of the browser of your choice.