5.2 Reverifying or Updating Employment Authorization for Rehired Employees
If you rehire an employee within three years from the date their Form I-9 was previously completed, you may either rely on the employee’s previously executed Form I-9 or complete a new one. If you choose to rely on a previously completed Form I-9, follow these guidelines:
- If the employee remains employment authorized as indicated on the previous Form I-9, the employee does not need to provide any additional documentation. In Section 3, provide the employee’s rehire date, any name changes, and sign and date the form.
- If the previous Form I-9 indicates that the employee’s employment authorization has expired, you must reverify employment authorization in Section 3 in addition to providing the rehire date. If the previously executed Form I-9 is not the current version of the form, you must complete Section 3 on the current version of the form.
- If you already used Section 3 of the employee’s previously completed Form I-9, but are rehiring the employee within three years of the original execution of Form I-9, you may complete Section 3 on a new Form I-9 and attach it to the previously completed form.
Employees rehired after three years of the original completion of the Form I-9 must complete a new Form I-9.
- Enter the date of rehire in Block B of Section 3.
- Enter the document title, number and expiration date (if any) of the document(s) the employee presents in Block C of Section 3.
- Sign and date Section 3.
- If you choose to use a new Form I-9, enter the employee’s name at the top of page 2 of a new Form I-9 and complete Section 3 of the new Form I-9, retaining the new form with the previously completed one.
- You must reverify the employee on a new Form I-9 if the version of the form you used for the previous verification is no longer valid. Please check uscis.gov/i-9 for the current Form I-9.
Updating an employee’s name is optional. To update:
- Enter the date of rehire in Block B and the employee’s new name, if applicable, in Block A of Section 3.
- Sign and date Section 3.
- If you are updating on a new Form I-9, enter the employee’s name at the top of page 2 and use Section 3 of the new Form I-9 to update. Keep the new Form I-9 with the previously completed one.
Enter the employee’s new name, if applicable, in block A.
Enter the employee’s date of rehire, if applicable, in block B.
Enter the document title, number, and expiration date (if any) of document(s) presented in block C.
Sign and date Section 3.
Note: If you need to reverify the employment authorization of an existing employee who completed an earlier version of Form I-9, the employee must provide any List A or C document(s) they choose from the Lists of Acceptable Documents for the most current version of the Form I-9. Enter the new document(s) information in Section 3 of the current version of Form I-9 and keep it with the previously completed Form I-9. Visit I-9 Central at uscis.gov/i-9-central for the most current version of the Form I-9.