7.1 Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR)

7.1 Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR)

Employees must be allowed to choose which document(s) they will present from the Lists of Acceptable Documents. You cannot specify which document(s) an employee must present. Employees who attest to being an LPR in Section 1 may choose to present a List A document (such as a Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) or a List B and List C document combination (such as a state-issued driver’s license and unrestricted Social Security card). If the employee presents a List A document, do not ask or require the employee to present List B and List C documents. If an employee presents List B and List C documents, do not ask or require the employee to present a List A document.

There are different versions of Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. Some Permanent Resident Cards may contain no expiration date, a 10-year expiration date, or a two-year expiration date. Cards that expire in 10 years or have no expiration date are issued to LPRs with no conditions on their status. All Permanent Resident Cards, whether they have an expiration date or no expiration date, are List A documents that should not be reverified.

LPRs and conditional residents may be issued temporary I-551 documents. These documents are acceptable for Form I-9 as follows:

  • The combination of an expired Permanent Resident Card and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, that indicates that the card is valid for an additional year, is an acceptable List C evidence of employment authorization for one year as indicated on Form I-797. At the end of the one-year period, you must reverify.
  • Reverification is necessary if an employee presents a foreign passport with either a temporary I-551 stamp or I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa (MRIV) when the stamp or MRIV expires, or one year after the admission date if the stamp or MRIV does not contain an expiration date.

MRIVs are usually issued with the following language on the visa: “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.” The one year time period begins on the date of admission. If, in the rare instance, an immigrant visa is issued without the statement “FOR 1 YEAR,” employers should treat the MRIV as evidence of permanent residence status for one year from the date of admission.

If the stamp in the passport is endorsed “CR-1” and is near but not on the immigrant visa, it is still a valid endorsement.

  • If an employee presents the arrival portion of Form I-94/Form I-94A Arrival Departure Record, containing an unexpired temporary I-551 stamp and a photograph of the individual, this combination of documents is an acceptable List A receipt for the Permanent Resident Card. The employee must present their Permanent Resident Card to the employer no later than when the stamp expires, or one year after the issuance date of the Form I-94 if the stamp does not contain an expiration date.
Last Reviewed/Updated: