In this case, the USCIS receipt notice is not an acceptable receipt for Form I-9 purposes. An employee with temporary employment authorization and holding an Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) should apply for a new card at least 90 days before the expiration of his or her current document. If the employee has a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, pending with USCIS, and the application has been pending for 75 days, instruct your employee to call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TDD) about the status of his or her application. USCIS strongly encourages that employees first call the National Customer Service Center before visiting a USCIS office to prevent possible delays. If your employee prefers to check on the status of his or her application at a USCIS office, he or she may schedule an InfoPass appointment at When your employee’s current Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) expires, he or she must be able to present a List A document, a List C document, or an acceptable receipt under the receipt rule to satisfy Form I-9 reverification requirements.

Last Reviewed/Updated: