I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status

To provide temporary immigration benefits to foreign nationals who are victims of qualifying criminal activity, and to their qualifying family members, as appropriate.

Number of Pages

Form: 11; Instructions: 17; Supplement A: 12; Supplement B: 5; Supplement B Instructions: 5.

Edition Date

02/07/17. A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, you may file using the 02/07/17 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Where to File

Send your completed Form I-918 to:

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479

Additional Information for Completing Your Form:

Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject and return any unsigned form.

Filing Fee

$0 (Biometrics services may be required at no cost to the applicant.)

Checklist of Required Initial Evidence (for informational purposes only)

Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-918. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.

If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.

Did you provide the following?

  • Your completed Supplement B Certification
  • Evidence you are the victim of qualifying criminal activity
  • Evidence you have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse
  • Evidence you possess information concerning criminal activity, and that the criminal activity is qualifying and violated United States law or occurred in the United States
  • Evidence you have been, are being, or are likely to be helpful to a certifying official in the investigation or prosecution of qualifying criminal activity
  • A personal statement
  • If you are inadmissible, an application for a waiver of inadmissibility on Form I-192, with appropriate fee or request for a fee waiver
  • If you are filing Form I-918, Supplement A for a qualifying family member:
    • Credible documentation of the claimed relationship
    • An explanation of why required documents are not available (if applicable)
    • If your qualifying family member is inadmissible, an application for a waiver of inadmissibility on Form I-192, with appropriate fee or request for a fee waiver.


Special Instructions

  • You may submit the 01/15/13, 11/23/10, and 08/31/07 editions of Form I-918, including Supplements A and B, until Sept. 30, 2017. Starting Oct. 2, 2017, we will only accept the 02/07/17 edition.
  • You may submit the current edition (02/07/17) at any time.
  • During the grace period, we will accept different editions of Form I-918, Supplement A, and Supplement B within the same petition as long as the edition is valid at the time of receipt. For example, a petitioner may file Form I-918 (02/07/17 edition) with a previous edition of Form I-918, Supplement B (01/15/13, 11/23/10 or 08/31/07 editions), until Sept. 30, 2017. Starting Oct. 2, 2017, we will only accept the 02/07/17 edition.

Note to Petitioners: Principal U nonimmigrants are authorized to work once their underlying petitions for U nonimmigrant status are approved. USCIS will automatically issue an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) upon approval of the petition. It is not necessary to file a separate Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. 

Derivative U nonimmigrants who reside inside the U.S. are authorized to work once the derivative petitions for U nonimmigrant status are approved. However, they will not automatically receive an EAD and must file Form I-765 if they wish to request an EAD. 

Employment authorization for principals and derivatives can only be issued after the underlying U nonimmigrant status petition is approved, regardless of when the Form I-765 is filed.

If the statutory cap is reached in a fiscal year and we use the waiting list process described at 8 CFR 214.14(d)(2), petitioners for U nonimmigrant status and derivatives in the U.S. can apply for employment authorization using Form I-765, based on deferred action. An application for employment authorization based on deferred action can only be approved after DHS has deferred action in your case, regardless of when the Form I-765 is filed.

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: