The USCIS Legal Resources section provides information on laws, regulations and other authorities, including interpretations and policies that USCIS and other immigration-related components of the Department of Homeland Security follow.
- Statutes governing immigration law in the Immigration Nationality Act
- USCIS regulations in Title 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations (8 CFR)
- USCIS Federal Register Publications, including notices, proposed, interim and final rules
- Administrative Decisions from the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office
- Handbooks and guides used by immigration officers in performing their jobs
The mission of the USCIS Office of Chief Counsel (OCC) is to provide legal advice to immigration officials concerning issues that arise as they perform their official duties. (8 CFR 100.2(a)(1) and 103.1(b)(1)). OCC does not provide legal opinions to individuals or groups outside of USCIS and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.