Members of the Military and their Families

This section of the USCIS website contains immigration information and links to resources geared specifically for members of the military and their families.

USCIS is continuously working with the Department of Defense to ensure the military community has accurate and up-to-date information about immigration services and benefits.

If you are a U.S. armed forces member seeking to petition for your family member for permanent residence (green card), see the Family page.

Citizenship for Military Members & Dependents

Members and veterans of the U.S. armed forces, and their dependents may be eligible for citizenship under special provisions of law.  For more information, see the Citizenship for Military Personnel & Family Members page.

Family Based Survivor Benefits (for Relatives)

Immediate relatives of U.S. armed forces members who die as a result of combat while in an active duty status may be eligible for certain "survivor" immigration benefits, including citizenship.  For more information, see the Family Based Survivor Benefits page.

Military Parole in Place

If you are in the U.S. without admission or parole, you may request parole in place if you are a spouse, child (unmarried and under 21), or parent of a current or former active duty or Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve service member.

To request parole, you must submit the following to the director of the USCIS office with jurisdiction over your place of residence:

  • Completed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (without fee) with “Military PIP” written in Part 2;
  • Evidence of the family relationship;
  • Evidence that your family member is a current or former member of the U.S. armed forces, such as a photocopy of the front and back of the service member’s military identification card or DD Form 214;
  • Two identical, color passport style photographs; and
  • Evidence of any additional favorable discretionary factors that you would like us to consider.

Military Help Line

USCIS has established a toll-free "Military Help Line" exclusively for members of the military and their families: 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645).  For more information, see the Military Help Line page.

banner depicting members of the military


Last Reviewed/Updated: