Naturalization Through Military Service

If you are serving or have served in the U.S. armed forces and are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).


If you meet all of the requirements of either section 328 or 329 of INA, you may apply for naturalization by filing Form N-400 under the section that applies to you.  You will not have to pay any fees for applying for naturalization under INA 328 or 329.  As a member or veteran of the U.S. military, certain other naturalization requirements may not apply to you; for example, you may not have to reside in or be physically present in the U.S. for any length of time before you apply for naturalization. The requirements for naturalization are explained in greater detail below.

One Year of Military Service During Peacetime

If you served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least one year during a period of peacetime, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization. While some general naturalization requirements apply under INA 328, other requirements may not apply or are reduced. To establish eligibility under INA 328, you must:

  • Have served honorably, during a period of peacetime, in the U.S. armed forces for a period or periods totaling one year;
  • Have submitted a completed Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (PDF, 313 KB), at the time of filing the N-400 to demonstrate honorable service; ;
  • Be a lawful permanent resident at the time of the examination on your application for naturalization;
  • Meet certain residence and physical presence requirements;
  • Demonstrate the ability to read, write and speak English;
  • Demonstrate knowledge of U.S. history and government;
  • Demonstrate good moral character for at least five years prior to filing the N-400 until the time of naturalization; and
  • Demonstrate an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution.

Service During Periods of Hostility

INA 329 applies to all current military service members or veterans who served honorably in an active-duty status or in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve during any of the designated periods of armed conflict listed below:

  • Sept. 1, 1939 – Dec. 31, 1946
  • June 25, 1950 – July 1, 1955
  • Feb. 28, 1961 – Oct. 15, 1978
  • Aug. 2, 1990 – April 11, 1991
  • Sept. 11, 2001 – present 

Applying for Naturalization

Many military installations have a designated USCIS liaison to help you with the naturalization application process. These liaisons are typically assigned to the installation’s community service center.  Place your request through your chain of command to obtain a certification of your honorable military service on Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service. If you have already separated from the U.S. armed forces, you may submit an uncertified Form N-426 with a photocopy of your DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or NGB Form 22, National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service, for the applicable periods of service listed in Form N-426. Mail your completed application and all required materials to:

P.O. Box 4446
Chicago, IL 60680-4446

We will review your application and conduct required security checks, which include obtaining your fingerprints. This can be done in one of the following ways: 

  • If you were fingerprinted for a previous immigration application, we will use these fingerprints, if available.
  • You can visit an Application Support Center, which is the fastest way to record your fingerprints if you are stationed in the U.S. You do not need an appointment, but you must show an unexpired military identification card.
  • We travel to military installations in the U.S. to capture fingerprints using a mobile fingerprint unit. Ask your liaison if we have scheduled a trip to your installation or nearby.
  • If stationed abroad, you may submit 2 properly completed FD-258 fingerprint cards taken by the military police or officials with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Embassy, or U.S. Consulate.
  • If you have questions regarding your biometrics, you can contact the Military Help Line at 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645), TTY (800) 877-8339 or

We will review your application and send it to a USCIS field office to schedule you for an interview. You can request an interview at a specific office in a cover letter attached to your application or leave the choice of location to us. You may request overseas processing by attaching a cover letter to your application, or contacting the Military Help Line at 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645), TTY (800) 877-8339 or    

The field office will schedule your interview to review your eligibility for naturalization and test your knowledge of English and civics. If you are found eligible for naturalization, we will inform you of the date you can take the Oath of Allegiance and become a U.S. citizen.


You must complete and submit:

Overseas Processing

Active-duty service members serving overseas on orders may be interviewed and naturalized abroad at certain U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and military installations. You may request overseas processing at any time in the naturalization process. For more information, please contact the Military Help Line at 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645), TTY (800) 877-8339 or

Posthumous Citizenship for Military Members

Generally, individuals who served honorably in the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of injury or disease incurred while serving in an active-duty status during specified periods of military hostilities may be eligible for posthumous citizenship under section 329A of the INA.

Form N-644, Application for Posthumous Citizenship, must be filed on behalf of the deceased service member within 2 years of their death. Upon approval of the application, we will issue a Certificate of Citizenship in the name of the deceased veteran establishing posthumously that they were a U.S. citizen on the date they died.

Other provisions of the law extend immigration benefits to the service member’s surviving spouse, children and parents. For information on survivor benefits for a qualifying service member’s surviving spouse, child, or parent, see the Family Based Survivor Benefits page.

Last Reviewed/Updated: