This section of our website contains immigration information and links to resources specifically for members of the military and their families.
Naturalization Through Military Service
If you are serving or have served in the U.S. armed forces and are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Read more on our Naturalization Through Military Service page.
Citizenship and Adjustment of Status for Family Members
Members and veterans of the U.S. armed forces and their dependents may be eligible for permanent residence and citizenship under special provisions of the INA. For more information, see the Citizenship for Family Members page.
Family Based Survivor Benefits
If you are an immediate relative of a U.S. armed forces member who died from combat-related injuries while on active duty, you may be eligible for certain “survivor” immigration benefits, including citizenship. For more information, see the Family Based Survivor Benefits page.
Discretionary Options for Service Members, Veterans, Enlistees, and Their Families
We recognize the important sacrifices made by U.S. service members, veterans, enlistees and their families. To support these individuals, we provide discretionary options such as parole in place and deferred action on a case-by-case basis. For more information, see the Discretionary Options for Military Members, Enlistees, and Their Families page.
For more information, see the Overseas Processing page.
Deployments and Moving
We understand that deployments and permanent changes of station are a part of military service. For information on filing for immigration benefits during a deployment, see the Deployments and Moving page.
Military Help Line
We have established a toll-free Military Help Line exclusively for members of the military and their families. For more information, see the Military Help Line page.
Military Naturalization Statistics
Read more about our military naturalization statistics.
- Naturalization Information for Military Personnel (PDF, 251.97 KB)
- Military Naturalization Checklist (PDF, 293.06 KB)
- Military Contact Information (PDF, 302.97 KB)
- USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 12, Citizenship and Naturalization
- A Guide to Naturalization
- Citizenship Resource Center
- N-400, Application for Naturalization
- N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service
- I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
- I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence