N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document
Use this form to apply for a replacement Naturalization Certificate; Certificate of Citizenship; Declaration of Intention; or Repatriation Certificate; or to apply for a special certificate of naturalization as a U.S. citizen to be recognized by a foreign country.
12/08/21. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
If you complete and print this form to mail it, make sure that the form edition date and page numbers are visible at the bottom of all pages and that all pages are from the same form edition. If any of the form’s pages are missing or are from a different form edition, we may reject your form.
If you need help downloading and printing forms, read our instructions.
You have two options for filing your Form N-565 with USCIS:
- Online, or
- By mail (paper).
Filing your Form N-565 online
You must create an online account to file your Form N-565 online. Having an online account will also allow you to:
- Pay your filing fee online;
- Check the status of your case;
- Receive notifications and case updates;
- Respond to requests for evidence; and
- Manage your contact information, including updating your address.
You must mail your original document to the Nebraska Service Center after you file online. The address for the Nebraska Service Center is provided in the Evidence section of the online application.
Filing your Form N-565 by mail
Mail your form to the following address:
USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
P.O. Box 20050
Phoenix, AZ 85036-0050
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
Attn: N-565 (Box 20050)
2108 E. Elliot Rd.
Tempe, AZ 85284-1806
Even if you mailed us your form, you can still create a USCIS online account to track and manage your case online.
When you submit your Form N-565 through the mail, you will receive a USCIS Account Acceptance Notice in the mail with instructions on how to create a USCIS online account. We will continue processing your application even if you choose not to access your online account. We will also continue to send you copies of notifications about your case by mail through the U.S. Postal Service.
If you file your Form N-565 online, you may pay your fee online.
If you file your Form N-565 by mail (paper), you may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, cashier’s check or pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request. Use our Fee Calculator to help determine your fee.
Pay each filing fee separately. We are transitioning to electronically processing immigration benefit requests, which requires us to use multiple systems to process your package. Because of this, you must pay each filing fee separately for any form you submit. We may reject your entire package if you submit a single, combined payment for multiple forms.
No fee is required if you select Item C. in Item Number 2. of Part 2. of the application.
Please do not submit this checklist with your Form N-565. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.
If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.
Did you provide the following?
- Two identical passport-style photographs if you live outside the United States;
- Your original document or certificate if you are applying for a new or replacement document due to a name, date of birth, or gender change;
- A copy of the original document if you are applying for replacement of a lost, stolen, or destroyed document (if applicable);
- A police report or a sworn statement if you are applying for replacement of a lost, stolen, or destroyed document;
- Evidence of a USCIS typographical or clerical error (if applicable);
- Evidence of your legal name change (if applicable);
- Evidence of your legal date of birth change (if applicable);
- Evidence of your legal gender change (if applicable);
- Evidence of your marital status change (if applicable); and
- A copy of your original naturalization certificate if applying for special certificate of naturalization.
Filing Tips for Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document
Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:
- Part 1 – Information About You
- Family Name
- Date of Birth
- Mailing Address
- Part 2 – Type of Application
- Basis for Application
Filing Tips: Go to our Tips for Filing Forms by Mail page for information on how to ensure we will accept your application.
Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.
E-Notification: If you want to receive an e-mail and/or a text message that we accepted your Form N-565, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and clip it to the first page of your application.