Requesting Accommodations for Disabilities

USCIS is committed to providing customers with disabilities the same access to its programs, activities and facilities as customers without disabilities. Accommodations vary depending on the individual’s disability and involve modifications to practices or procedures that allow applicants with disabilities to participate in immigration processes.   For example:

  • If you are unable to use your hands, USCIS may allow you to take a test orally rather than in writing.
  • If you are hearing-impaired, USCIS may provide a sign language interpreter for an appointment or a USCIS-sponsored event.
  • If you are unable to travel to a designated USCIS location for an interview, USCIS may visit you at your home or a hospital. 

How to request an accommodation:

If you need an accommodation due to a disability that affects your access to a USCIS program or activity OR if a disability prevents you from going to the designated USCIS location as scheduled, please call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 (TDD: 1-800-767-1833) to request an accommodation.  Do not call the NCSC if you are a naturalization applicant seeking an exception from the English and/or civics testing requirements.  You must submit Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions to request an exception.  See Form N-648 to the right of this page for instructions and additional information.


  1. You may request an accommodation for any interaction with USCIS including an ASC appointment, InfoPass appointment, interview appointment or naturalization ceremony.  Additionally, you may request an accommodation to attend a USCIS public event such as town hall meeting.
  2. If you are initiating contact with USCIS (e.g., for an InfoPass appointment or to attend a public event), you may call the NCSC at any time. If you need an accommodation for an appointment in conjunction with an application (e.g., an ASC or interview appointment), please call after you have received your appointment notice.
  3. Call the NCSC even if you indicated on your application that you need an accommodation.
  4. Call the NCSC to request an accommodation each time you will be visiting a USCIS office.  For example, you should call the NCSC if you need an accommodation for your biometrics appointment and call again if you need an accommodation for your interview appointment.
  5. All domestic USCIS facilities are accessible to individuals with physical disabilities.  You do not need to request an accommodation if your only need is an accommodation that would enable or facilitate you having physical access to a domestic USCIS office.
  6. If we deny your accommodation request and you believe we did so in error, please call the NCSC at the phone numbers listed above.
Last Reviewed/Updated: