Skip to main content

U.S. Citizens Traveling Internationally

U.S. Citizens and International Travel   

If you are a U.S. citizen traveling internationally, you will need to carry your valid U.S. passport.

If you are traveling to or from a country where a U.S. passport is not required, you’ll usually need two documents:

  • A document to prove your identity, such as a valid U.S. driver’s license, military ID, or a valid government-issued photo ID; and
  • A document to prove your citizenship, such as a notarized copy of your birth certificate issued by a U.S. state.

If you were not born in the United States, carrying your valid U.S. passport is your best option to prove your U.S. citizenship. You can also use your original certificate of citizenship or certificate of naturalization.

Note: Hospital-issued birth certificates, voter registration cards, and affidavits cannot be used as identification.

What is required to re-enter the United States?

A passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality is required in order to enter or re-enter the United States.

New Passport Requirements:

As part of U.S. Department of State's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, all travelers are required to present a valid passport or other acceptable document(s) to enter or re-enter the United States (visitors and U.S. residents) from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

Note: This does not affect travel between the United States and its territories. U.S. citizens traveling between the United States and Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa will continue to be able to use established forms of identification.

Last Reviewed/Updated: