A Guide to Naturalization
Recent changes in immigration law and USCIS procedures now make it easier for U.S. military personnel to naturalize, see the USCIS Policy Manual guidance on Military Members and their Families. Also see Naturalization Information for Military Personnel (PDF, 252 KB).
A Guide to Naturalization (M-476) provides information on:
- The benefits and responsibilities of citizenship;
- An overview of the naturalization process; and
- Eligibility requirements.
To view the Guide, you must have the free Adobe Reader software installed on your computer.
- M-476, A Guide to Naturalization (entire guide) (PDF, 1.01 MB)
- M-476, Chapter 1, Welcome (PDF, 348 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 2, What are the Benefits and Responsibilities of Citizenship? (PDF, 174 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 3, Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 321 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 4, Who is Eligible for Naturalization? (PDF, 403 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 5, What should I Expect from the Naturalization Process? (PDF, 258 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 6, What Kind of Customer Service Can I Expect? (PDF, 259 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 7, Where Do I Go for Help? (PDF, 189 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 8, Glossary (PDF, 197 KB)
- M-477, Attachments, Document Checklist, Current Fees, Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet (PDF, 495 KB)