Proof of U.S. Citizenship and Identification When Applying for a Job

Your U.S. passport is your best proof of U.S. citizenship. Other official documents can be used, as described below.

Are you a citizen born in the United States?

Your birth certificate provides proof of citizenship. If you need a copy of your birth certificate, contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the State in which you were born. We do not issue any kind of citizenship document to a person who is a citizen by birth in the United States.

Are you a citizen born outside of the United States?

If you are the child of a U.S. citizen parent and you were born outside of the United States, your citizenship depends on the law that was in effect when you were born. In most cases, you will need to show evidence that at least one of your parents was a U.S. citizen and lived in the United States or its possessions for a period of time.

To get recognition of citizenship, you can use:

Are you a naturalized citizen or derivative citizen?

You can use your original Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship as proof of citizenship. If you have lost your certificate, you can apply for a replacement using Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. The instructions to N-565 (PDF) explain how to file and the process in greater detail. If you do not have web access at home or work, check with your public library, forms are available by mail, by calling the Contact Center, or by downloading or printing forms from the Forms page.

Identification when applying for a job

Every employer in the United States must verify that each newly hired employee can be legally employed in the United States. You must provide documentation to your employer to show your identity and authorization to work. If u are a U.S. citizen, you may show a variety of evidence to meet this requirement, including a U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate along with a government-issued photo identification document.

Last Reviewed/Updated: