Skip to main content

Resource Information Center: Liberia

Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

Response to Information Request Number:LBR99006.ZNK
Date:20 July 1999
Subject:Liberia: Information on obtaining a laissez passer document at a Liberian consulate
From:INS Resource Information Center, Washington, DC

Liberia/ citizenship/ nationality/ passports/ right to a nationality/ right to a passport/ travel documents


In what circumstances would a Liberian consulate issue a laissez passer document instead of a regular passport?


According to the Liberian embassy in Washington, DC, Liberian consulates in the United States and Canada issue laissez passer documents to Liberian citizens "for travel or identification in the event of a lost, destroyed or invalid passport." An embassy official said that Liberians can apply for new passports at consulates abroad, but the process can take between two to three months because all applications are sent to Liberia to be processed (Embassy of Liberia 20 July 1999; see attachment).

This response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the RIC within time constraints. This response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.


Embassy of the Republic of Liberia. Consular/Visa Issues. [Internet] URL: [Accessed on 20 July 1999].

Embassy of the Republic of Liberia. Telephone Interview. Washington, DC. 20 July 1999.

Last Reviewed/Updated: