I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status

If you are an eligible national of a designated country, use this form to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). When filing an initial TPS application or re-registering for TPS, you can also request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by submitting a completed Form I-765, Request for Employment Authorization, at the time of filing Form I-821.

You may also file your Form I-765 request separately at a later date.

Number of Pages

Form 13; instructions 18.

Edition Date

04/11/18. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Where to File

File your form using the address listed in the Federal Register notice or Temporary Protected Status (TPS) webpage.

Filing Tips for Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status

Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:

  • Part 1 – Type of Application
  • Part 2 – Information About You
    • Family Name
    • U.S. Mailing Address (Mailing Address must be a U.S. address)
    • Alien Registration Number (re-registration only)
    • Date of Birth

Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject any unsigned form.

Filing Fee

First-time TPS applicants must submit a $50 fee for Form I-821. There is no Form I-821 fee for re-registration. Persons 14 years of age or older must also file an $85 fee for biometric services. For additional details, please refer to the Federal Register notice for your country or go to the TPS webpage.

You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check.  When filing at a USCIS Lockbox facility, you may also pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Please note that service centers are not able to process credit card payments.

 Applicant's AgeI-821 FeeBiometric ServicesI-765 FeeTotal
Initial Registration and Requesting an EADYounger than 14$50$0$0$50
14-65 years old$50$85$410$545
66 and older$50$85$0$135
Initial Registration and not Requesting an EADYounger than 14$50$0N/A$50
14 and older$50$85N/A$135
Re-Registration and Requesting an EADYounger than 14$0$0$410$410
14 and older$0$85$410$495
Re-Registration and not Requesting an EADYounger than 14$0$0N/A$0
14 and older$0$85N/A$85

N/A: Not applicable

Checklist of Required Initial Evidence (for informational purposes only)

Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-821. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.

If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.

Did you provide the following?

  • Evidence to prove your identity and nationality
  • Evidence to prove your date of entry into the United States
  • Evidence to prove your residence in the United States
  • Court disposition records (if you were ever arrested, charged, or convicted for a criminal offense)

Special Instructions

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: