I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
- Form I-140 (PDF, 473 KB)
- Instructions for Form I-140 (PDF, 261 KB)
- Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (PDF, 240 KB)
Purpose of Form
Use this form to petition for an alien worker to become a permanent resident in the United States.
Number of Pages
Form 6; Instructions 10.
11/20/15. A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, customers may file using the 11/20/15 edition. You may use the 03/05/13 edition and 10/15/15 edition until April 16, 2016. You must use the 11/20/15 edition starting April 16, 2016. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.
Where to File
The filing address depends on whether you are filing Form I-140 by itself or with another form. Check the Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-140 for instructions on where to mail your form.
Additional Information for Completing Your Form:
If you submit Form I-140 on paper: Be sure to sign the form at Part 8, Item Number 1.a., Signature of Petitioner. The fillable version of Form I-140 now includes “Don’t forget to sign!” messages and an arrow pointing to the signature box as reminders for when you print the completed form for mailing. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form I-140. Having to return it to you for a signature will delay processing of your petition.
If filing at a USCIS Lockbox facility:
- Please read our filing tips.
- If you complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of your petition, we will send you a text message and/or email when your Form I-140 has been accepted.
To ensure your Form I-140 is accepted for processing:
- Pay the correct filing fee of $580
- Sign the form
- Fill out the form completely and accurately, particularly these required fields:
- Part 1 – Family Name or Company/Organization Name
- Part 1 – Address
- Part 1 – IRS Tax Number or Social Security Number (does not apply to petition types 1.a., Alien of Extraordinary Ability or 1.i., National Interest Waiver)
- Part 2 – Petition Type
- Part 3 – Date of Birth
- Submit the required evidence listed in the form instructions