I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

Purpose of Form

This form is used by:

  • Certain nonimmigrants to extend their stay or change to another nonimmigrant status;
  • CNMI residents applying for an initial grant of status;
  • F and M nonimmigrants to apply for reinstatement; and,
  • Persons seeking V nonimmigrant status or an extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant.

Number of Pages

Form 9; Instructions 16.

Edition Date

12/23/16. No previous editions accepted. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.

Where to File

Check this link for the address to mail your form: Form I-539 Direct Filing Addresses.

Filing Tips for Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

Complete all sections of the form. The form will be rejected if these fields are missing:

  • Part 1 – Information About You
    • Family Name
    • Mailing Address
    • Date of Birth
  • Part 2 – Application Type
    • Number 2.a.
    • Number of People Included in This Application.

Sign the form at Part 5, Item Number 3.a., Applicant’s Signature. The fillable version of Form I-539 now includes a “Don’t forget to sign!” message and an arrow pointing to the signature box as a reminder for when you print the completed form for mailing. If there is no signature in Part 5, USCIS will reject the form and return it for correction and re-filing.

Filing Fee

$370. See Special Instructions.

Special Instructions

Filing Type

Filing Fee

Biometric Services Fee

V Nonimmigrants



CNMI initial grant of status



A1, A2, A3, G1, G2, G3, G4, G5



All other filing types



If filing a paper application at a USCIS Lockbox Facility:

To ensure your Form I-539 is accepted for processing:

  • Fill out the form completely and accurately
  • Sign the form
  • Pay the correct filing fee of $370

Special Instructions for Certain Nonimmigrants: 

Nonimmigrant Type

Additional Instructions

Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Residents

B Nonimmigrant Extension

B1 or B2 Nonimmigrants

K-3/4 Nonimmigrants

  • File form I-539 to extend your status while your permanent resident case is pending.
  • You may file form I-765 with Form I-539.
  • You may travel outside of the United States and be readmitted as a K-3/4, if you have a valid passport and K-3/4 visa.

V Nonimmigrants


This page can be found at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-539

Last Reviewed/Updated: