I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
- Form I-539 (PDF, 484 KB)
- Instructions for Form I-539 (PDF, 422 KB)
- Instructions for Supplement A to Form I-539 (PDF, 237 KB)
- Form M-752, Helpful Filing Tips for Form I-539 (PDF, 99 KB)
- Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (PDF, 240 KB)
Purpose of Form
This form is used by:
- Certain nonimmigrants to extend their stay or change to another nonimmigrant status;
- CNMI residents applying for an initial grant of status;
- F and M nonimmigrants to apply for reinstatement; and,
- Persons seeking V nonimmigrant status or an extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant.
Number of Pages
Form 9; Instructions 16.
04/06/15. We cannot accept previous editions. (The edition date can be found at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.)
Where to File
Check this link for the address to mail your form: Form I-539 Direct Filing Addresses.
Additional Information for Completing Your Form:
If you submit Form I-539 on paper: Be sure to sign the form at Part 5, Item Number 3.a., Applicant’s Signature. The fillable version of Form I-539 now includes “Don’t forget to sign!” messages and an arrow pointing to the signature box as reminders for when you print the completed form for mailing. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form I-539. Having to return it to you for a signature will delay processing of your application.
See Special Instructions.
Biometric Services Fee
CNMI initial grant of status
A1, A2, G1, G2, G3, G4 extensions
All other filing types
If filing a paper application at a USCIS Lockbox Facility:
- Please read our Lockbox Filing Tips.
- We will send you an e-Notification when your form is accepted if you complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and attach it to the first page of your application.
- To ensure your application is accepted, please:
- Sign your form.
- Pay the correct fee.
- Complete the entire form, especially these required fields: Family Name; Date of Birth; Address, Application Type; "The new status I am requesting is;" Number of People Included in Application.
Special Instructions for Certain Nonimmigrants:
Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Residents
B Nonimmigrant Extension
B1 or B2 Nonimmigrants
This page can be found at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-539