I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
The following groups use this form:
- Certain nonimmigrants extending their stay or changing to another nonimmigrant status;
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) residents applying for an initial grant of status;
- F and M nonimmigrants applying for reinstatement; and,
- Persons seeking V nonimmigrant status or an extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant.
What This Form Can Help You Do
05/31/22. We will also accept the 12/08/21 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
If you need help downloading and printing forms, read our instructions.
For a complete list of mailing addresses, visit our Form I-539 Direct Filing Addresses page.
If filing at a lockbox, please read our filing tips.
Filing Tips for Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:
- Part 1 – Information About You
- Family Name
- Mailing Address
- Date of Birth
- Current nonimmigrant status
- Part 2 – Application Type
- I am applying for (1., 2., or 3.a.)
- The status I am requesting (3.b or 3.c)
- Total number of People Included in This Application.
Filing Tips for Form I-539A, Supplemental Information for Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
- Part 1 – Information About the Person filing Form I-539A
- Family Name
Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.
You and each co-applicant must also pay an $85 biometric services fee.
- Individuals changing into or out of A-1, A-2, A-3, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, NATO-1, NATO-2, NATO-3, NATO-4, NATO-5, or NATO-6 status are not required to submit either the filing fee or the biometric services fee.
- Individuals changing into or extending H-4, L-2, E-1, E-2, E-2C, E-3, or E-3D nonimmigrant status are not required to submit the biometric services fee, effective May 17, 2021 – May 17, 2023.
Use our Fee Calculator to help determine your fee.
You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check. When filing at a USCIS lockbox facility, you may also pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request.
View the checklist of required initial evidence.
|Nonimmigrant Type||Additional Instructions|
Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) residents
|B nonimmigrant extension|
|B-1 or B-2 nonimmigrants|
E-Notification: If you want to receive an email and/or text message that we have accepted your Form I-539 at a USCIS lockbox, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the first page of your application.