Check Your Eligibility to File Form I-539 Online

Filing online helps you to:           

  • Get your application into our processing queue faster than mail delivery; and
  • Communicate with us directly, without sending paper mail.

You may file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, online if you are applying as a single applicant (without co-applicants, or legal or accredited representation) to extend your stay and you hold status as a:

  • B-1 temporary visitor for business;
  • B-2 temporary visitor for pleasure;
  • F-1 academic student with a specific status expiration date;
  • F-2 spouse or child of an academic student with a specific status expiration date;
  • H-4 spouse or child of an H temporary worker;
  • M-1 vocational student; or
  • M-2 spouse or child of an M-1 vocational student.

F-2, H-4 and M-2 Nonimmigrants

If you are in the U.S. with F-2, H-4 or M-2 nonimmigrant status and want to extend your stay, compare the expiration date on your Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record with your spouse or parent’s F, H, or M Form I-94. If the expiration dates on both forms are:

In the Near Future

We also plan to offer the ability to file your Form I-539 online if you:

  • Possess nonimmigrant classifications other than those listed above;
  • Seek to change your status;
  • Are using a legal or accredited representative; or
  • Are applying with a co-applicant.

To file online, you will:

  • Use a desktop, laptop, phone, or tablet to complete the application;
  • Be guided to complete the relevant parts of online Form I-539;
  • Pay your filing fee online;
  • Submit your application to USCIS; and
  • Receive a near-instant notification in your USCIS online account when we receive your application.

After Applying Online

You will use your USCIS online account to:

  • Receive your biometrics appointment notice;
  • Receive status updates about your case;
  • Respond to Requests for Evidence; and
  • Update your contact information if it changes.

If you file Form I-539 online, we will still mail Form I-797, Notice of Action, and Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to you as evidence that we granted the benefit.

Last Reviewed/Updated: