After We Grant Your Green Card

We issue a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) to all permanent residents as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States. If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times.

This page gives you a brief summary of the top actions you may need to do after receiving your Green Card.

Removing Conditions on Your Two-Year Green Card

If you are a conditional permanent resident, you cannot renew your two-year Green Card. Instead, you must file a petition to remove conditions 90 days before your Green Card expires, or you will lose your permanent resident status. Use our Filing Calculator to determine your 90-day filing date.

A family-based conditional permanent resident must file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. If you are an investor/entrepreneur-based conditional permanent resident, you must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.

Replacing Your Card

If you are a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent, you are required to replace your Green Card in certain circumstances. Read more information on our Replace Your Green Card page.

Reminders about Green Card Benefits

You can use your Green Card to:

  • Prove employment eligibility in the United States when completing the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
  • Apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license.

A Green Card is valid for readmission to the United States after a trip abroad if you do not leave for longer than 1 year. If your trip will last longer than 1 year, a reentry permit is needed.

Visit Settling in the U.S. for information on many different topics about living in the United States and a welcoming guide in multiple languages for new permanent residents.

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: