Skip to main content

Green Card for a Broadcaster

On this page you will find information on:

Individuals (and their spouses and children) who are coming to work in the United States as a broadcaster for United States Agency for Global Media (USAGM), or for a grantee of the USAGM, may apply for a green card (permanent residence). The term “broadcaster” may include a reporter, writer, translator, editor, producer, announcer, news broadcast host, news analysis, editorial and other broadcasting features, or a news analysis specialist. The term broadcaster does not include individuals performing purely technical or support services or working in the entertainment field.

There is an annual limit of 100 visas in this category. Spouses and children are not counted towards this yearly limit.

For more information, see Section 101(a)(27)(M), 203(b)(4) of the Immigration Nationality Act (INA) and 8 CFR 204.13.

Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible to obtain a green card as a broadcaster with the USAGM if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have an approved Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), and Special Immigrant, that was filed on your behalf by the USAGM or a USAGM grantee
  • You are admissible to the United States
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available to you

Application Process

If You Live Outside the United States

You must first file Form I-360. If your Form I-360 is approved, USCIS will forward the approved petition to the Department of State for consular processing of the special immigrant visa.  For more information on getting a special immigrant visa overseas, see the “Consular Processing” webpage.

If You Live Inside the United States

You must file Form I-360.  If your Form I-360 has been approved to obtain a green card through the broadcaster provisions, you need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

  • Two passport-style photos
  • Copy of government issued photo identification
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
  • Copy of passport page with admission (entry) stamp (if applicable)
  • Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record (if applicable)
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
  • Form I-360 approval letter (Form I-797 Notice of Action)
  • Applicable fees
  • Certified copies of court records (if you have ever been arrested)

Family of Individuals That Qualify as a Broadcaster

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21, (known as “derivatives”) may be included on your immigration petition. If they are residing in the United States, they will each need to file a Form I-485. They are not counted towards the annual limit of 100 visas.

Work & Travel Authorization

Generally, when you have a pending Form I-485, it is possible for you to apply for authorization to work in the United States and to seek advance parole (advance permission to travel and be admitted to the United States upon your return). For further information, see the “Work Authorization” and “Travel Documents” webpages.

Last Reviewed/Updated: