Immigrant Name Changes - Letters

How Diamond became Cohen

File 106968/300, Entry 26, RG 85, National Archives, Washington, DC

August 27, 1915
Secretary of State
Washington, DC

Dear Sir:

A client of ours by the name of Louis Diamond, came to this country some twenty odd years ago and resided, at that time, with his brothers in Chicago, Illinois. These brothers, for some reason or other, had changed their names to Cohen, and our client, being then a minor, also adopted the name of Cohen.
On the 8th day of October, 1900, he was given his final certificate of naturalization in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, under the name of Louis Cohen. He has since removed to New York City, and being known by all his friends and relatives as Louis Diamond, he discarded the name Cohen and assumed his real true name.

He cannot, however, vote on account of the facts as above stated, and is desirous of having his naturalization papers changed so that his real and correct name should appear therein.
We would, therefore, thank you to kindly advise, what, if anything, can be done in the matter, and thanking you for an early reply.

Very truly yours,

Kaplan & Kosman


How Kohnovalsky became Cohn

File 106968/339
Entry 26, RG 85, National Archives, Washington, DC
## Schwarts St.
Edwardsville, Ill. March 8, 1917
Mr. Rodenberg
East St. Louis, Ill.
Dear Sir:
I tried to obtain naturalization papers but could not because I did not apply for them under my right name. In Russia I was called Simhe Kohnovalsky but when I arrived in the United States I was told that in English I should call myself Sam Cohn and have been calling myself Sam Cohn for fourteen years and am known by that name. There is no other reason for my boing by a different name that the reason stated above.
I have applied for naturalization papers a second time and in the first papers have given my real name Simhe Kohnovalsky but I would like to have my name changed to Sam Cohn, the name by which I am known, so I am writing to you to ask you how I can have my name changed for the second papers.
I arrived in United States in Brooklyn, New York, July 4, 1903. I was born in Balistok, Russia. The port from which I sailed was Liverpool, England, on the 23rd day of June. I resided in New York City N.Y. for three years, in Clinton, Ill., one year, in St. Louis Mo. one year and since nineteen hundred and eight (1908) I have lived in Edwardsville, Ill.
I have good witnesses for my naturalization papers. I am working in the N.O. Nelson Manufacturing Co.
Please answer and let me know how I can have my name changed on my second papers to Sam Cohn.
Thanking you very much for the trouble, I remain,
Yours respectfully,
Sam Cohn

How Bahash became Amber

File 106968/309
Entry 26, RG 85, National Archives, Washington, DC
Detroit, Mich.
November 23, 1915
Hon. Richard K. Campbell
Commissioner of Naturalization
Department of Labor
Washington, D.C.
My dear Mr. Campbell:
My Secretary is a teacher in a class of the Wiemann Settlement in which Sam Amber is a pupil. Mr. Amber is twenty-three years of age and desires to make application for his first citizenship papers. He finds himself handicapped, however, by the fact that when he landed in New York September 29, 1912, he gave his name as Salim Bahash. He was born in Syria and his father's name is Charles Amber. I would be very glad if you will kindly advise me of any steps that Amber may take to correct the record and permit of his application for citizenship.
Thanking you for your attention, and with best wishes, I am
Very sincerely yours,


How Shukowsky became Zakotsky

File 106968/310
Entry 26, RG 85, National Archives, Washington, DC
On November 22d I became a citizen of the United States of America under the name of Wolf Zakotsky. I have one son Jack going to High School and another son Abraham works. Their name is Shukowsky which is my right name. Since their name is different than mine, which excludes them from voting on my papers (as sons) I would like to change my name so that all the members of the family have one name. Kindly oblige me by answering as to the best thing to do in order to have the family under one name.
Yours respectfully,
Wolf Zakotsky
1415 Stebbins Ave.
Bronx, N.Y.


How Asszony became Miazaroz

File 106968/323
Entry 26, RG 85, National Archives, Washington, DC
[April, 1916]
One John M. Asszony, a native of Hungary was naturalized at Trenton, New Jersey on September 21, 1896. He has since died. Shortly after he was naturalized he sent for his family who were in Hungary. One of the family was a boy Joseph M. Asszony, who at the time he came here was 13 years of age. When his father died he took up his fathers papers and found that the papers had been issued in the name of John Miazaroz. The only plausible reason for this mistake perhaps was the fact that the applicant was a foreigner and hard to understand.
The son Joseph M. who resides in this city would like to have this corrected so that he may vote under his fathers papers and under his own proper name, which under the present premises is hardly possible. If there is any possible way of remedying this, I would be more than glad to have it.
. . . It will be more than possible for me to furnish affidavits to prove my contention.
Respectfully yours,
[I.?] Jean Rosenberg


How? Became?...

File 106968/169
Entry 26, RG 85, National Archives, Washington, DC
March 19, 1912
Bureau of Naturalization
Washington, DC
Please let me know what you require to be the legal practice in a case of this kind.
A man left the other side and for some reason of his own, travelled in coming over here under a different name. When he reached this country he resumed his correct name, and declared his intention and secured his first papers under his correct name. He now would like to find out whether he can make out his application for naturalization papers in the proper form and not say anything with reference to his coming in under the other name, or whether you require him to file an affidavit at the time he files his second application, stating the true facts.
A prompt answer will greatly oblige.
Respectfully yours,
Harry J. Weiner


Last Reviewed/Updated: