Requesting Parole for the First Time in the CNMI

Parole gives certain people legal status to stay in the CNMI. Anyone living in the CNMI who is submitting a request for parole should follow the guidance below.

Prepare the Following Items

Your request for Parole should include:

  • Letter requesting parole, with details of why you need this benefit
  • A completed Form G-325, Biographic Information
  • 3 passport-style photos (2” x 2” front view)
  • A copy of UNEXPIRED entry permit / umbrella permit
  • A copy of photo page of your passport
  • An original passport 
  • Any relevant documentation including ticket, E-ticket, itinerary, medical letter, letter from employer, copy of existing B Visa, etc.

Bring Your Request to USCIS

Make a free InfoPass appointment to bring the above items, including your valid passport to the USCIS Application Support Center at TSL Plaza in Saipan.

The officer will review your application and decide whether to grant parole. If you are granted parole, the appropriate form will be inserted into your passport before you leave your interview.

Reason You Need Parole

Travel to Guam and other parts of the United States without parole may have severe consequences if you have a CNMI permit. If you travel without parole you may be unable to return to live and work in the CNMI after your travel.

If you intend to continue to live, work or study in the CNMI, you can no longer use the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or a B visa (tourist or business) for domestic travel. “B” nonimmigrant status is intended solely for individuals residing outside the United States who are making a short visit only to the United States for business or pleasure, and not for the purpose of employment or study. As the CNMI is now within the United States for purposes of U.S. immigration law, B status is inappropriate for anyone residing, working or studying in the CNMI as it severely limits the authorized length of stay and permitted activities. 

You must obtain parole from USCIS to maintain the validity of your CNMI permit after travel within the United States. If you are admitted under a B visa or the VWP, you will be in the United States – including the CNMI – as a tourist (or for short-term business, if on a B1 Visa) and this will invalidate your CNMI permit.


Last Reviewed/Updated: