Deployments and Moving

We understand that deployments are a part of military service. If you are submitting an application or petition to USCIS, and are scheduled to deploy in the near future, write in bold letters, “I have an upcoming deployment” on the first page of the application/petition, or on a cover sheet attached to your application. If you have already submitted your application and need to notify us of an upcoming deployment, contact the USCIS Military Help Line at 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645, TTY 800-877-8339) as soon as possible.

Expedited Processing

We review requests for expedited processing on a case-by-case basis. Some examples of situations that may qualify for expedited processing include pending military deployments and emergency or humanitarian situations. Please contact your local USCIS office or the Military Help Line for more information.

Filing Form I-751 While a Service Member is Deployed or Stationed Abroad

If you are the spouse of a service member and you want to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, we will accept your form without your service member’s signature as long as you include:

  • The required evidence listed in the form instructions; and
  • Evidence of your service member’s assignment (such as a copy of their orders or a letter from their commander).

Contact the Military Help Line when your service member returns to the U.S.

Receiving Orders After Applying for Naturalization

If you filed Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and you (or your spouse) receive orders for an overseas assignment before your naturalization interview, please contact your local USCIS office or call the Military Help line to notify us and schedule your interview. We do not currently offer video or satellite interviews, but the local USCIS office will make every attempt to conduct your interview before you move or deploy. In certain locations, we may be able to conduct your interview overseas.

Updating Your Address

If you move, be sure to update your address with USCIS to continue receiving information about your case. For more information, see our Change of Address page.

Last Reviewed/Updated: