Jordan - USCIS Amman Field Office

Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

ALERT: USCIS issued guidance (PDF, 315.53 KB), effective Feb 1, 2020, delegating authority to the Department of State (DOS) to accept and adjudicate a Form I-130 filed by a U.S. citizen petitioner for an immediate relative if the petitioner establishes exceptional circumstances or falls under blanket authorization criteria defined by USCIS. This guidance, which applies even in countries with a USCIS presence, can be found in the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B Chapter 3

As of Feb. 1, 2020, USCIS will no longer accept and adjudicate routine Form I-130 petitions at its remaining international field offices. Petitioners residing overseas who are unable to file with DOS must file Form I-130 by mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Dallas or online using the USCIS website.

USCIS permanently closed its field office in Amman, Jordan, on Jan 17, 2020. The Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Amman assumed responsibility for certain limited USCIS services for individuals residing in Jordan (see table below).

Individuals who were previously assisted by the USCIS Amman Field Office (which includes individuals residing in Jordan, Israel, Syria, Iraq, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt) must follow these filing instructions:

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

File your petition by mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox or online using the USCIS website. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 webpage.

If you are a U.S. citizen, the Department of State may accept a petition from you if you are filing for your immediate relative (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent (if you are 21 years of age or older) at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in certain limited circumstances, as described in USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3. Please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live for further information.

Active-Duty Military: If you are an active-duty U.S. citizen service member stationed permanently at a military base overseas, you may file this petition directly with the Department of State at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate without needing to establish exceptional circumstances.

Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (for Widow(er) petitions only) 

If you reside outside of the United States, you may be able to file at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. Please contact them for more information.

Please see the Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant webpage for the most current filing instructions.

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) Beginning Nov 1, 2019, if you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has lost your LPR card and/or re-entry permit and you need travel documentation to return to the U.S., you can file your Form I-131A with any U.S. embassy Consular Section.  To make an appointment to file the Form I-131A for travel documentation at the U.S. Embassy in Amman, see the Embassy’s website.

Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Submit your Form I-407 to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center.  You can find additional filing information on the Form I-407 web page.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. Embassy or Consulate may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status.  The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa.

Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition

You must file your petition with the USCIS Nebraska or Texas Service Centers, depending on where the petitioner lives in the United States.

For beneficiary interviews/processing, contact the U.S. embassy consular section in the country where the beneficiary resides.
Form N-400, Application for Naturalization If you are a member of the U.S. military stationed overseas, please see the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, page or call 800-375-5283 for the most current filing instructions.  For qualified children of active-duty service members stationed abroad, the proper form to file is the N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322.

Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition

You must file your Form I-600A application by mail with USCIS lockbox facility in Dallas. The USCIS National Benefits Center will process the application.  You may find additional information on the Form I-600A webpage.

Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative

You may file your Form I-600 petition:

  • By mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Dallas and the USCIS National Benefits Center will process the petition, or
  • In-person with the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate in the adoptive child’s country of origin (if certain criteria are met).

You may find updated information on the Form I-600 webpage on the USCIS website.

General information about the U.S. Embassy Amman is available on the Embassy website.

For information on other immigration benefits, please visit We suggest you use Ask Emma for more details about what you want to accomplish. Many times, you may be able to complete your task online.

Have a question about a pending application or petition? Send USCIS a secure message through your USCIS online account. Opening an account is easy.

For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the Department of State’s website.


For the services, U.S. Embassy Amman will provide on behalf of the U.S. Embassy Amman Consular Section, you must schedule an appointment via email. Please bring a copy of your printed appointment confirmation with you to obtain access to the Embassy. The U.S. Embassy Amman Consular Section does not accept walk-ins.

Fee Payment Information

You must pay the Form I-131A fee online. For all other applications and petitions that you submit to this office, you must pay the fees to the U.S. Embassy cashier in U.S. dollars in cash either with U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Jordanian dinars or by Visa/Master card. Personal checks are not accepted.

Last Reviewed/Updated: