N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322
Children who regularly reside outside the United States may use Form N-600K to apply for citizenship based on a U.S. citizen parent.
09/17/19. E. We will also accept the 09/17/19 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
If you complete and print this form to mail it, make sure that the form edition date and page numbers are visible at the bottom of all pages and that all pages are from the same form edition. If any of the form’s pages are missing or are from a different form edition, we may reject your form.
If you need help downloading and printing forms, read our instructions.
You may file your Form N-600K online or by mail (paper).
If you are requesting a fee waiver, please submit a paper version of Form N-600K by mail. We currently do not process fee waivers online.
Filing your Form N-600K online
You must create an online account. Having an online account, will also allow you to:
- Pay your filing fee;
- Submit passport-style photos;
- Check the status of your case;
- Receive notifications and case updates;
- Respond to requests for evidence; and
- Manage your contact information, including updating your address.
Attorneys and accredited representatives can also create an online account, which will allow them to manage their clients’ applications in one place.
Filing your Form N-600K by mail
Mail your form to the Phoenix or Elgin lockbox.
|If you live in:||Then, mail your form to:|
USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
USCIS Elgin Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, cashier’s check or pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request. Use our Fee Calculator to help determine your fee.
Pay each filing fee separately. We are transitioning to electronically processing immigration benefit requests, which requires us to use multiple systems to process your package. Because of this, you must pay each filing fee separately for any form you submit. We may reject your entire package if you submit a single, combined payment for multiple forms.
Please do not submit this checklist with your Form N-600K. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions.
If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.
Did you provide the following required documents?
- Two passport-style photographs of the child;
- The child’s birth certificate or record;
- The U.S. citizen parent’s birth certificate or record;
- Proof of required physical presence in the United States for the U.S. citizen parent (or grandparent if parent does not meet the requirement);
- Proof of U.S. citizenship for the qualifying parent (and grandparent if applicable);
- Proof of legal custody (only required for applicants whose parents divorced and/or legally separated and for applicants who are adopted); and
- Proof of child residing in the physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent(s);
If applicable, did you provide the following documents?
- The U.S. citizen parent’s marriage certificate(s);
- Evidence the U.S. citizen parent terminated any prior marriage(s);
- Proof of legitimation for children born out of wedlock if applying based on U.S. citizenship of father;
- Evidence of legal guardianship;
- A copy of your Form I-600 or Form I-800 approval notice and supporting documentation, (except home study) or evidence the child was adopted before their 16th birthday (or 18th birthday if the sibling exception applies) and that their U.S. citizen parent has complied with the two-year legal custody and joint residence requirement (if child is adopted);
- Copy of the full, final adoption decree (if child is adopted);
- Evidence of all legal name changes; and
- Explanation and secondary evidence if any requested document is unavailable.
Filing Tips for Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322
- Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:
- Part 1 – Information About the Child’s Eligibility
- Check only ONE box in Part 1. If you check multiple boxes in Part 1, we will reject your Form N-600K and return it to you for correction and re-filing.
- Your signature as the applicant.
Filing Tips: Go to our Tips for Filing Forms by Mail page for information on how to help ensure we will accept your application.
Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.
E-Notification: To receive an email or text message when we accept your form, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of the form.
Attorney or accredited representative: You may be represented, at no expense to the U.S. government, by an attorney or other duly authorized representative. Your representative must submit Form G-28, Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative, with your Form N-600K. They may also submit Form G-28 at the time of your interview.
- USCIS Policy Manual- Volume 12, Part H, Chapter 5, Child Residing Outside of the United States (INA 322)
- Tip Sheet: Applying for Form N-600K, Application for Certificate of Citizenship
- U.S. Citizenship for An Adopted Child
- How to Create a USCIS Online Account
- Tips for Filing Forms Online
- Online Filing for Attorneys and Accredited Representatives