How to Create a USCIS Online Account
Step 1: Go to the Sign Up page.
Do not create a shared account with anyone. Your USCIS online account is only for you. Individual accounts allow us to best serve you and protect your personal information.
Step 2: Enter your email address and click “Sign Up.”
You will use your email address to create and log in to your USCIS online account. We will send all email communications to this address.
Step 3: Confirm your account.
- We will send a confirmation message to the email address you provided.
- Click the link in the confirmation message to go to the USCIS online account login page and continue creating your USCIS online account.
- If you do not receive the confirmation email in your inbox within 10 minutes, check your junk mail or spam folder.
- If your confirmation email is not in your junk mail or spam folder, select “Didn’t receive confirmation instructions?” for more information.
Step 4: Create a password and click “Submit.”
- Create a password for your USCIS online account. Your password must:
- Be at least eight characters in length.
- Contain at least one upper case letter, at least one lower case letter, and at least one special character.
- Enter and confirm your new password, then click “Submit.”
Step 5: Choose how you want to receive a verification code (such as text, email, or authentication app) and click “Submit.”
Every time you log in to your USCIS online account, you will also need to enter a one-time verification code. This provides an extra layer of security for your USCIS online account.
- We will automatically generate the one-time password and send it to you by email or mobile phone text message, depending on how you chose to receive it.
- We encourage you to select both email and mobile phone text message for receiving your one-time password, then click “Submit.”
- If you select “Mobile,” you will be prompted to enter your U.S. mobile phone number. Standard text messaging rates may apply.
- It may take a few minutes to receive your one-time verification code. (Note: If you selected the email option, make sure to check your junk mail or spam folder in addition to your inbox.)
Step 6: Enter this verification code and click “Submit.”
In the future, every time you log in, you will receive a one-time verification code via email or text message, depending on how you chose to receive it.
- Enter your one-time password in the space under “Secure one-time password” and click
- If you have not received your authentication code in 10 minutes, select “request a new one-time password.”
Step 7: When you create an account, you will also receive a two-step verification backup code. Print or save a copy of this code and keep it in a safe place. Click “Proceed.”
Step 8: Select password reset questions and answers.
- Using the drop-down arrow, choose five password reset questions. If you ever forget your password, we will use these questions to confirm that you provided the email address used to create your USCIS online account.
- Type the answer to each question in the space provided. You must remember these answers if you ever need to reset your password.
- When you have finished, click “Submit.”
Step 9: Under Account Type, select “I am an applicant, petitioner, or requestor” OR “I am a legal representative” and click Submit.
Step 10: Receive confirmation that your USCIS online account has been created.
You should receive a confirmation message in the email account you provided us, confirming that you have successfully created your USCIS online account.
Visit myUSCIS to sign in to your USCIS online account and find additional resources.
myUSCIS provides a personalized account to help you navigate the immigration process. On myUSCIS, you will find:
- Up-to-date information about the application process for immigration benefits;
- Tools to help you prepare for filing your immigration form;
- Help finding citizenship preparation classes; and
- Information on exploring your immigration options.
For technical support with your online account, you can send us a secure message. If you did not file your case online but have a receipt number that begins with “IOE”, you can create a USCIS online account to send secure messages.
Visit the Tools page to see all our self-help tools that may get you answers to common immigration questions.