I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Use Form I-407 to let us know that you have decided voluntarily to abandon your status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States. We will then update your records to show that you are no longer an LPR.

Number of Pages

Form 2; Instructions 3

Edition Date

03/31/17. A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, you may file using the 03/31/17 edition. You can also use previous editions. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Where to File

In a location with a USCIS international field office: Submit Form I-407 in person or by mail to that office. Find locations at uscis.gov/international.

In other locations: Mail Form I-407 to the nearest USCIS international field office.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate without a USCIS international field office may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status. The most common example is a LPR who needs to have his/her abandonment application expedited in order to apply for an A or G visa.   You may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.

Filing Tips for I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Don’t forget to sign your form!  We will reject and return any unsigned form.

Filing Fee

There is no filing fee.

Special Instructions

  • In Part 1., there are 8 spaces for your A-Number. If your A-Number is 7 or 8 digits, add enough zeros (0) at the beginning of the number so your A-Number is 9 digits. (For example, A-001234567).
  • If the LPR is under 18 years old, the minor’s parents, custodial parents or legal guardians must sign and consent to submitting Form I-407.
  • If there is only one legal parent, that parent can sign Form I-407. However, that parent must submit proof:
    • Of having sole legal custody; or,
    • Showing that any other parent has either died or had his or her parental rights legally terminated.
  • A guardian must submit documentation showing they have legal custody or other authority to sign for the minor.
  • The Department of Homeland Security is required to provide the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with the names of individuals who choose to abandon their LPR status. If you file this form with us, we will provide only your name and the filing date to the IRS. (Internal Revenue Code section 6039G(d)(3))
Last Reviewed/Updated: