USCIS Closes the Moscow Field Office to Public on Feb. 28, 2019

Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

Release Date

The USCIS field office in Moscow, Russia permanently closed on March 29, 2019. The U.S. Embassy in Moscow has assumed responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by USCIS to individuals residing in Russia (see table below). The USCIS Refugee Affairs Division has assumed primary responsibility for adjudicating refugee cases presented for interview in former Soviet Union countries.


Filing Instructions

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

File your petition by mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Chicago. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 web page.

USCIS may authorize the Department of State to accept a petition filed with a U.S. embassy in some limited circumstances (PDF, 483.48 KB).

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)

Beginning Nov 1, 2019, if you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has lost your LPR card and/or reentry permit and you need travel documentation to return to the U.S., you can file your Form I-131A with any U.S. embassy consular section.

Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Submit your Form I-407 to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center.  You can find additional filing information on the Form I-407 web page.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S embassy or U.S. consulate may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa.

Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition

You must file your petition with the Nebraska or Texas Service Center, depending on where you live in the United States.

For beneficiary interviews/processing, contact the U.S. embassy consular section in the country where the beneficiary resides.

Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

If you are a member of the U.S. military and are stationed overseas, please see the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization page or call 800-375-5283 for the most current filing instructions. USCIS will forward the application to the appropriate international field office for processing. For qualified children of active-duty service members stationed abroad, the proper form to file is the N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322.

General information about the U.S. Embassy Moscow is available on the embassy website. You may also contact the embassy by calling 011-7 (495) 728-5000 or by mailing:

U.S. Embassy Moscow
Bolshoy Deviatinksy Pereulok No. 8
Moscow 121099
Russian Federation 

For more information on USCIS and its programs, visit

Last Reviewed/Updated: